Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help Folks

Options
  • 06-09-2009 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

OK I'm thinking of taking up history as an 8th subject cos im really good at it (got A in Jc) and dropping to pass irish to take some of the weight off ( im struggling in honours anyway)Any one done this? Any suggestions? How big is the history course? Could you do it outside school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The History course is divided into two areas.

European/American History and Irish History.

IIRC you study four modules from each and you've to also do a research study which is worth around 25 per cent I think of your overall mark.

As for doing it outside of school I'm not sure but it's a big enough course but if you feel you're good at it then go for it.

It is very much essay based questions and there's no room for waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

history course is very long but if you are interested it might be doable. You would want a reasonable knowledge of the areas before you begin though as it really is a rather long course...

Anyway, for the exam you must answer 4 sections.

3 essay and one documents based question.

The documents question is on Northern Ireland. 1949 - c. 1993 (or something around those dates.

You will then need to answer an essay question on one other section of Irish city from the course ( for example we are doing "The Pursuit of Sovereignity and the Effects of Partition (c.1912-1948.. again dates are a tad dicey).

Then you will have to answer two questions on "Europe and the Wider World". Therefore you must study two more sections of the course. Since you are doing it in a year I would recommend that you consider the Cold War courses ( Europe and America 1845-c.1992) as there is a substantial overlap especially with regards to foreign policy.

So in summary you must study Northern Ireland (1949-1993), one other Irish section and 2 Europe/Wider World Sections.

There is not that huge a range of questions that can be asked on each section so past exam questions are of course crucial. We were also advised never to answer any questions on "society" so you could probably just not bother studying the social history areas of each topic if you are struggling for time. My final piece of advice is that, I have been told but am open to correction, one case study is guaranteed to come up in each section each year. Each topic has 2 case studies so concentrating on them may be of some benefit to you.

I hope I have been of some help

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Oh and That_Guy is right about the research topic but you will need to get a teacher to supervise it. They have to sign it off as "proof" that you didn't plagurise anything, so before going any further you really need to talk to a history teacher. You will need to get one on board..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

If you are in sixth year, it just won't be possible. (Especially so if you are attempting to teach yourself the course.)

If you are in fifth year, taking up History now would be pretty much equal what every fifth year student is doing - commencing the 2 year LC course. (Rendering this thread rather pointless.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

domrush wrote: »
    OK I'm thinking of taking up history as an 8th subject cos im really good at it (got A in Jc) and dropping to pass irish to take some of the weight off ( im struggling in honours anyway)Any one done this? Any suggestions? How big is the history course? Could you do it outside school?
    Don't even consider it, it's too big full stop. Business would be do-able, if your not already taking it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Yeah you'd really need a teacher!

The Irish history is compiled of knowing dozens of small events that lead to a larger picture!,Like the ambush of so and so which was litrally a grenade thrown into a British army truck! or in N.I learning all the abrivated groups!

And even then the books arents always right!,full of inacuracys with the American History and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

well a good friend of mine did the exact same thing for his leaving cause he loves history...he done 5th year himself..and in 6th year he got grinds every weekend from christmas on to make sure he was doing ok..he done essays on the major topics on the course and the history teachers in school would correct them for him and help him out the same with the project

so i reckon its very do-able but you have to make yourself study it and read through the books yourself which can be tough..he got an A2 in his history in the end so he was well pleased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

No.

As was said above, do something which won't exert such a monumental strain as History (also, bear in mind that even if you do pass it, in the end, the likelihood is that this may come at the expense of top grades in subjects you already do).

Sixth year is hard enough without shouldering an extra burden. Pick a subject which pretty much exists for the purpose of gaining easy points; Ag Science/ Economics/ Ag Ec/ Business/ Classics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Cateym

There is no comparison between history for the JC and the LC. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get an A1 at LC higher level. People in my class who did honours maths said they put in about the same effort time-wise to both. No bull****ting in history. I would def not take it up. Business is an easy one to do on your own.

Advertisement