Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring hob trouble

Options
  • 06-09-2009 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I have an Amica oven and ceramic hob. They are wired into the same switch. My question is about the hob. There are 3 options for wiring, im in dublin and dont know which one to use.

this is the hob http://www.amica-international.co.uk/uk,produkt,built-in-hobs,PBP4VQ242,62,2.html

and these are the possible connections

hob.jpg

I am using 6sq cable.

It in a new apartment block in dublin 3. I have the cooker going and I wired it up like diagram 1 but the hobs keep turning on and off instead of staying on.

If any one can help because im lost here, I dont know what phase the apartment is. Any help really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

Use option 1

That is connect the live (brown) to terminal 1, there should be a link between terminal 1, 2 and 3.

Connect the neutral (blue) to terminal 4 or 5 with a link between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

dingding wrote: »
    Use option 1

That is connect the live (brown) to terminal 1, there should be a link between terminal 1, 2 and 3.

Connect the neutral (blue) to terminal 4 or 5 with a link between them.

Thanks a million man, Thats actually exactly how its wired now, only problem is when a hob is turned on, it heats up for a few seconds, then goes out, then comes back on and keeps doing this on all plates. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Seems like you have it correctly wired. Does it cut out when you place a load e.g. a pot of water on one of the plates?

danjo wrote: »
    Seems like you have it correctly wired. Does it cut out when you place a load e.g. a pot of water on one of the plates?

It cuts out either way. It comes back on about 10 or 15 seconds later, then fires for around 30 seconds or more then cuts again. Keeps doin this, it doesnt switch of completly just the hobs themselves stop firing.

Its brand new and a replacement for one I bought which cracked when I used it, so its the second one of these models that im having trouble with. The first one worked fine, just cracked when it cooled down. but this one Ive been waiting months for and now its acting up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I think what you have in an "Induction Hob" as far as i know that what it does, heat up very quickly for a few seconds and then it reachs a "Cooling temp" then switches back on to save energy. Check the warranty as regards the hob cracking, where did you buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

your hob is doing exactly what it should be doing -its "regulating" the temperature by cycling on and off -put it on position 1 and it will be off for longer than it will be on -put it on position 9 (or highest )and it will be on for longer than its off

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

on the verge:
    I think what you have in an "Induction Hob

+ 1

I agree with on the verge here because the OP says
    when a hob is turned on, it heats up for a few seconds, then goes out

Whereas
    "regulating" the temperature by cycling on and off
    takes more than a few seconds.

Induction hobs only operate when saucepans made from a ferrous metal are placed on the ring. If a ring is turned on and no ferrous metal is put in contact with it with a few seconds, it will turn off.

How do you test if your saucepan is made from a ferrous metal? Simple, if a magnet stucks to the pan then it is made of a ferrous metal. Generally induction hobs come with a magnet to test your saucepans.

The bad news is you cant use saucepans made of materials such as aluminium, copper or stainless steel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_hob

what it does, heat up very quickly for a few seconds and then it reachs a "Cooling temp" then switches back on to save energy.
    This is not how an induction hob works.

Hi guys and thanks for all the replies and advice. I have never used anything other then old fashioned electric ring hobs and gas so this ones new to me. The manual says nothing about this! but Ive contacted the shop and they said basically what you guys have been saying, thats how it works! unfortunatly I didnt know about the aluminium thing and used an aluminium pot, so I now have a pearly residue on the glass hob. The manula says There is a special agent that you can buy to remove this, so Im just gonna google that now.

Advertisement