Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

relocating to Canada, with my dog (hopefully...)

Options
  • 06-09-2009 1:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,
    i'm moving to Canada within the next couple of months and am trying to find a way of getting my dog there safely without having to check her as cargo (the horror!).

has anyone found an airline that allows small/medium dogs (ie not a tiny lapdog that will fit in a bag under my seat) in the cabin and not buried away with the luggage?

i've looked into charter flights, transatlantic cruises and even the freighter options but so far all are prohibitively expensive. Last resort would be QE2 to NY and then train/drive to Vancouver, but would have to live on dry bread and water for the next two months to be able to afford this. Any alternative suggestions would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I dont think you'll find an airline that will allow larger dogs in the cabin. I had a friend recently though who flew their dog using a shipping agent called WFS in Dublin Airport. Yeh it went in the cargo hold but they are well looked after. They also charged half the price (~$700) as compared to quotes of $1500+ from other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 papercutpeople

thanks, i'll check them out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 manofmoynalty

Hi

I saw your post about your dog to Canada. I actually ship dogs and cats abroad on a weekly basis.
    You probably wont find an airline that will let you take the dog on board. Main thing is what airport you are going to and when.
    The cargo option is not as bad as people think. Reason being that the cat or dog genrally sleep for the duration. Its actually a better option for the dog if its a direct flight. Cabin pressure thins the blood with ourselves and the dog( hence NEVER sedate them ) and as they will be in the carrier box they will rest in the cargo hold . They do not as a rule rest in the passenger cabin and due to the cabin pressure its more comforatable for them to sleep. Not all airline take animals as not all aircrafts are equipped to take them. With the liability laws etc the airline only takes what they consider to be "safe cargo". This means if they think that your dog will be at ANY risk they will refuse them straight away.

Also if you have a connecting flight you do not have access to a vet should the dog get ill during travel. When the go as cargo ( i know I hate the "cargo" term too ) they are checked by vets depending on airport and airline.
    If you want give me a call and I can explain the process for you and hopefully put your mind at ease. And Ill give you a price 087 6351285

Advertisement