Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new light fitting

Options
  • 05-09-2009 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

I fitted a new light fitting a few months back and the bulbs dont last very long a few weeks and are very expensive, I wonder if i wired it correctly. it works so i assumed i had done it right. I matched the blue wires and brown wires and taped the neutral green and yellow wires from the new fitting (didnt connect them at all) the normal fitting i replaced had no neutral green and yellow. the wires from the roof have a green and yellow going into the junction box.

My question is should I have connected the green and yellow to the same junction that the green and yellow from the roof and is this causing the bulbs premature life and why didn't the basic light fitting i took down have a neutral wire.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance.

Regards

RRF

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

what type bulbs/fitting.you should have earthed fitting if it requires earth

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭intbn

yeah, and are the bulbs a higher wattage than the originals? ie. an upgrade from 60w to 180w?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There is no way to connect the light fitting that will shorten bulb life that I can think of.

Perhaps your problem is simply the type of lamp. Incandescent GU10 lamps have a relatively short life I have often found. Below is an example of this type:

unbranded-50w-gu10-mains-halogen-bulbs.jpg

taped the neutral green and yellow wires from the new fitting (didnt connect them at all) the normal fitting i replaced had no neutral green and yellow
    This is not good! All earth cables must be terminated properly.
    Although this will not shorten lamp life, it is very important! This could result in other fittings / switches / accessories past this point in the circuit not being earthed. If a fault were to develop it may mean that a protective device (such as an MCB or fuse) will not operate when it should possibly resulting a shock or fire risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Roofrackranger

its something like the attached

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

i think they are halagen lamps but they are exposed if you touch the glass the lamp will blow but i would need to see the lamp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Try to find out what type of lamp the fitting is using.

Perhaps an energy efficient version is available, they tend to have a greater life expectancy.

As others suggested perhaps the wattage is greater than recommended, this can cause over heating resulting is the lamp failing prematurley.

Sort out the earths, that is more important!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Aside from electrical problems affecting bulb-life(surges and over-voltage),that fitting will transfer any vibration from above ceiling onto bulbs.

Advertisement