Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all fighters making weight???

Options
  • 05-09-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey guys, just something a few people have been mentioning to me.... Do you think all fighters have been making weight... I mean the ones who dont show up at the offical weighin and say they have done it at their club ;);) I have seen people fight at 70kg and these fighters are NOT that weight. one of my fighters said to me a wile back that if he weighed in at the club and pretended he made weight he would have a better chance of winning..... he is no longer in my club!! Whats your oppinion on this:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I'm not familiar with the system that you're talking about, but it sounds like it's not too easily enforced if it's relying on trust

So someone can just show up and say that they made weight at their club at some point and it's ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

we used video weigh in for the c class fighters at cage contender, but the pro fighters came to the venue to weigh in the day before the contest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

As long as Digital scales are used then its ok, but if its the old style scales then it could easily be manipulated, sure they have a thing on them that you can adjust the weight, a certain amount of trust needs to be applied but on my show i will demand that video weigh ins are very clear and digital scales are used too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Hey guys, just something a few people have been mentioning to me.... Do you think all fighters have been making weight... I mean the ones who dont show up at the offical weighin and say they have done it at their club ;);) I have seen people fight at 70kg and these fighters are NOT that weight. one of my fighters said to me a wile back that if he weighed in at the club and pretended he made weight he would have a better chance of winning..... he is no longer in my club!! Whats your oppinion on this:confused:
    Some guys are just monsters for their weight, Guys like Cathal Prendent from sbg or John Redmond from Rush are just massive men, Built like tanks but they are what they weigh in at.

I remember at the MMA league in Kilkenny last year a guy was fighting Vinni Di Ruscio and if you seen the two side by side you'd never ever put them in the same weight class.

Some guys are genetically built like tanks without weighing the same as one

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Do you think all fighters have been making weight...
    Id say that most fighters do. On my promotion fighters that dont make weight dont get to fight.
    I have seen people fight at 70kg and these fighters are NOT that weight.
    If you have seen Pro fighters fight at 70kgs most of the time they arnt 70kgs on the day of the fight. Almost all Pro fighters cut weight by de-hydration and make weight the day before. Then they steadily put the weight back on and are generally alot bigger. A classic example of this is Steve McCombe.
    one of my fighters said to me a wile back that if he weighed in at the club and pretended he made weight he would have a better chance of winning.....

This is not true. If he has to cheat hes obviously not confident in his ability and is looking for the upper hand. Again ill give the example of Steve McCombe. He stripped massive weight to fight Neil Seery twice but was beaten on both occasions.

As said above any fighters that weigh in at there own club do so because they live too far away from the venue. This is common in Ireland and does need a certain degree of trust. However most Promoters know the people out there they can trust and those they cant. So far i dont think it is a big problem.

Thanks for your time
    Marty

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Some guys are just monsters for their weight, Guys like Cathal Prendent from sbg or John Redmond from Rush are just massive men, Built like tanks but they are what they weigh in at.

I remember at the MMA league in Kilkenny last year a guy was fighting Vinni Di Ruscio and if you seen the two side by side you'd never ever put them in the same weight class.

Some guys are genetically built like tanks without weighing the same as one

Some lucky bastard are prone to myoplasia, as oppossed to hypertrophy of the muscles....so they get real big and strong but not dense and heavy like most other people would.

Normally these are the same guys that tend to be quite quick, despite the size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sonoflife

I walk around at 69kgs an i fight at 65kgs....I normally start gradually coming down in weight 3 weeks before a fight till im about 67 at my walk around weight an then i dhydrate on the day of the weigh in....Then by the day of the fight im normally weighing about 67-68kgs...This is the way i prefer to do it!...I cud cut more weight but it would probably drain me more!!

Advertisement