Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malahide 5km Race Sat 5th Sept, anyone race?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭

Anyone on here do the race? I was helping out organising and was just checking on any good or bad feedback if any boardsies raced,

Thanks,

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

Yep, I did. Overall I was very pleased. It was my first 5km (and my first race since I was 11!) so I don't have any other any other race experience to compare it to, but I had no complaints at all. Let me say straight off that I have no affiliation with the organisers or the charity.

Registration was quick, and well-placed in the car park where everone parked, and which was also beside the start and finish points. The walkers were sent off enough ahead of time so that they had strung out a bit and didn't cause any problems for the runners getting by (although I wasn't at the head of the pack).

The route itself was cracking. A nice mix of trail, path and, at the end, lovely, lovely grass. It was well marked and there were marshals at potential confusion points. Slightly surprised to see dog-walkers and joggers running against the flow, but they didn't cause any problems.

The coffee and chocolate provided before the start went down a treat, as did the fruit and drinks afterward. The official(?) clock at the finish line enabled me to see my time, as my crappy HRM got overloaded in the pack at the start (coded my a**e) and I had to restart it, which meant that I didn't know what time I was running. Great encouragement from everyone at the finish line as well. I had to head off quickly to go to work and I didn't hang around past the announcement of the winners, so I can't comment on anything after that.

As I say, overall I was very pleased. The only gripe was that I didn't get a t-shirt or any memento besides my number, but as the race was for charity it's no big deal. Definitely a race I'd repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

yeah really enjoyed the race and will be doing it next year. Is there any where to view the results and pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Results should be e-mailed around later on today and put up on runireland.com as well, think there'll be a link for photos as well on both,

Thanks for the feedback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

I ran it, thought it was excellent really. It was a nice mix of path, trail, grass at the end was nice. I really appreciated the protein drink at the end, and bananas and water. never seen a race handing out protein drinks before, I would normally never have them but it was nice to see people handing out stuff that is for recovery....(unlike without naming any specific race, for example giving out free toothpaste afterwards).

Two small things, there was one point in the race where I was confused for about five seconds about where to go.....it was at a cross roads where the trail went across the path, close to the playgrounds (just before the 4km mark). Turned out we just went straight but a sign would have been helpful. Second, the starter might have given a minutes notice that the runner's were about to go, I think she gave about 15 seconds notice, I was still stretching in the car park. Two small things. Overall really enjoyed it, it was very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I was out and about at it taking photos- seemed very well organised. Started at bang on 11 o'clock. There was definitely more than 15 seconds notice given as I made my way from the car park to where I took my opening photos from as the runners made there way to the start.

Plenty of pictures from the race on RacePix365

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭jinka

Enjoyed it and liked the bike taking us around the course. I train here all the time so knew it well however the other lads seemed to be worried about taking a wrong turn so it was a bit cat and mouse. Prize giving though was a bit quick and missed it but enjoyed the champagne and sweets in it. Went down well!!

Advertisement