Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need help setting up/building home network

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

until recently i had hoped to build a low power atom 330 home fileserver plugged into a switch and also plug the eircom router into the switch and run my hom network that way as i have cat5e points all around the house.

Now however I have a problem - eircom has just informed me that my new line isnt broadband enabled.

So it means my home fileserver may now have to distribute internet aswell via my 3g key and (+11dbi panel antenna)

So i am kind of lost really as i had been seriously planning around having an eircom router/broadband-

what i am hoping is that someone could suggest something that may suit my netowrk requirements based on the following criteria.

1) The system must be energy efficient.
    2) I would prefer to be able to view the hardrrives on my theoretical new system and just click on a a video file and play it as if it was on my machine that i am using from any point around the house- is this possible? - i often play 4+ gb films of my usb drive but i dont know does cat5e and all the adapters that would be involved mean i have more or less bandwidth to play with?
    3)I want to have internet from any of the cat5e poiunts aswell as view my system drives.
    4)It would nodoubt be easier to have this system on 24/7 so again efficiency is key perhaps power saving sleep mode that wakes the computer when it receives a LAN signal? does that exist?
    5)which brings me to my internet problem - my 3key disconnects with inactivity - sure i could use a staylive app no hassle BUT when this new system goes into sleep mode its gonna be an awful pain if i have to manually restart the connection to 3.

6)Funds arent great to be honest but i could spring a 150 or so bucks for a suitbale mobo and i have the below hardware availbvle
    i have ddr2 and ddr1 memory available - i have a coreduo6600 doing nothing
    i have a 450watt psu + case available - also have 4 or so sata drives about 3.5TB of storage - waiting to go into the sysyem -0 would prefer not to have to format them for any file sharing system as they are filled with years of data! (and of course not backed up....)

any way - sorry for the essay but its much easier to give a good reply when one has all the info at hand

thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

can someone move this to computers -> building&upgrading?

may be more relevant there?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Have you thought about a 3G Router. Basically a Router similar to what Eircom would give you to share out your internet, except instead of a line coming in from Eircom it takes your 3G USB Modem as the input. Then you can wire CAT5 or Wireless straight from that with no need to keep the Server powered on unless you want to access files from it.

Check this link.

http://www.nucleusnetworks.co.uk/3g-router/3g-router.htm

That's just a site I googled but it seems to give you some reccomendations.

Hope that helps,

NothingMan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

now that IS useful
    I never even considered something like that would be posiible
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Always happy to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

jasperok wrote: »
    can someone move this to computers -> building&upgrading?

may be more relevant there?

thanks

Still want it moved?

I've got limited access to the web so I may be a little slow getting stuff done at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement