Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Philosophy not an LC subject?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

This is a bit ridiculous. Philosophy has been extremely influencial in the moral growth of the human race. I am 7 years removed from my LC and have just started reading the great philosophical teachings and they are immensly helpful and I see how important they are in the grand scheme of things. I believe it should be a basic subject, along with Maths, Irish, English.

When you look at some of the LC subjects available, it's hard to justify Philosophy not being one of them. I think Religion is even a subject now? Amazing. I understand there is some philosophy in the religion subject, but I really wouldn't want to have to study RELIGION, in order to study *some* Philosophy.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

I love reading about Philosophy and have bought many many books on that subject.Would have loved to have done it in school.

However, I can't really say that about my peers and I think that for a majority of students it would be far too boring and end up being a subject like religion.ie.a subject not many really care about/put effort into.

Maybe there is a place for it as a niche subject where classes are available to those who have the interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

...Because suicide is already a big problem in Ireland without that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

If it were a subject it would be my first to pick...I' well pissed off at the moment as the year I finish my LC they are bringing in Politics as a subject :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭RexMundi

Philosophy is an integral component of the Religion curriculum & classical Greek philosophy is studied in Classical Studies.

I'm happy it's not. The English course ruined English literature for me; there's something wrong about being forced to study certain texts in such a methodological manner. I imagine a philosophy course would do much the same. Either way, you can always study it yourself, which is far more rewarding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

I'm happy it's not. The English course ruined English literature for me; there's something wrong about being forced to study certain texts in such a methodological manner. I imagine a philosophy course would do much the same. Either way, you can always study it yourself, which is far more rewarding.

Yes I have to agree Jammy. English ruined English literature for me too. The system is seriously flawed when another poster on here could get an A1 without reading any of the texts.

Study it yourself is the proper way to go about it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

Seloth wrote: »
    I finish my LC they are bringing in Politics as a subject :mad:

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thedizzler

Oddly enough, Philosophy is the only subject all French people have to do for their final year of school.
    I can see the problems with assessing it in the Irish system though, and other posters make the good point that the methodical study necessary for the Leaving could render it a bit pointless really. The point of philosophy, at least as I've always understood it, is to think, not to learn off by heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Philosophy is part of the LC religion syllabus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭JW91

Because its a ridiculously stupid topic in the first place. It will never be part of the leaving cert in it's own right because the department of education also realise this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

What's the problem?I doubt it will be made mandatory :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I would imagine that marking would be difficult.

Unless it were purely a matter of memorising facts, it would be very subjective.

Memorising facts would defeat the purpose of philosophy.

Subjective marking would be costly in terms of time (due to rechecks)

Introducing the subject costs money.

I have no doubt that it could be enjoyable, but I don't see what the state has to gain by introducing it (in the way that introducing more sciences and languages could be of benefit).

Advertisement