Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics or Business for 6th year?

Options
  • 05-09-2009 1:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

I'm not too sure on wheter or not I should tkae up business or Econmoics tfor 6th year,I need one more subject.

Also is there much maths in Economics?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Calum196

From what I have heard business is easier. I'll be taking it myself as a repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Really because I've heard the exact opposite from most people:confused:

I did it for a week last year in 5th but I dropped it :rolleyes: but I need another subject,I only have 6 atm and I'm bound to do terrible in Irish and Maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

Seloth wrote: »
    I'm not too sure on wheter or not I should tkae up business or Econmoics tfor 6th year,I need one more subject.

neither are easy unless you have an interest in them!..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm in the same boat. I was told to do accounting

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭samapp

Hi Im in 5th year and I do all 3 business subjects.
    Whilst I know studying yourself is important the teacher you have really does make the difference. For instance I have a terrible accounting teacher and after doing control accounts for 5 weeks I was completely lost! I went to a grind last week and got them in an hour so look at the teacher as well!
    For the subject, economics is very nice if you can understand a theory behind something and dont try to apply it to real life. For example if more of a good is demanded the prices rise as that is what suppliers want to achieve higher prices. Thats a given general rule. Don't question it. Business allows more real life examples. Accounting is an easy A1 provided you have the right teacher.
    If its sixth year, Business is a long course but quite understandable based on common sense. you can teach yourself really. But if you can grasp the main concepts in economics it should be a breeze.

Personally, If you think you can handle it I would go for economics. A useful subject and not a very long course in my opinion but considering Im only in 5th year I might not be giving the best answer as I have only experience the subjects for 1 year. Good Luck in whatever you choose!:):cool:

• Advertisement

Yeha the teacher in our school is one,if not the best in the country for the subject,there rumours that he writes the paper.

One reason I left business in 5th year after a class was I found the teacher also very boring *L*

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Business.

I'm actually really suprised because everyone in person has told me economics :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭LiNgWiStIkZ

Business would be a tough one to do in 1 year.

The first few chapters in Economics are a breeze and it's mostly common sense, so if I was you i'd do Economics!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's no maths involved in Economics. There's just a lot of formulae you have to learn off.

I personally hated Economics and wished I had picked business studies. If you've done business studies in junior cycle then I would probably say stick to business studies.

I thought that Economics would be easy as you're only focusing on one aspect of the business world.... How wrong I was.

There was a very high fail rate in my class in the LC Economics exam so choose wisely.

• Advertisement

Well the teacher in my school is ment to be really good,People have said that while it may be easy there,its ment to be quite difficult with other teachers.

Blah I need to make my mind up this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

I found economics to be aloty easier then Bus and it's WAY shorter too

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Economics is easy enough, doing it now in 6th year. There is a lot of definitions you need to know but apart from that its grandios. Also the new log tables have the formulae in them so happy days :)

Are the fomulas easy enough to remeber actually?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Are the fomulas easy enough to remeber actually?

They're easy enough to remember but there's a good few so I would advise you to learn them off now instead of maybe a couple of weeks before the exam.

Some of them are a little confusing and there's also definitions you have to learn too and the definitions, according to my teacher have to be word for word. No exceptions.
    I'm not sure if that's true or not but I learnt them off word for word anyway just in case.

It's a short enough course but there's a good bit in it and you really have to be in tune as to what's going on in the world of economics because the book won't keep you updated with things that are happening.

I 'm actually terrible with Math formulas,and dropped Chemistry a few weeks before the end of 5th year because of it:o((I could undertsand what the element or mixute looked like but then the formulas jsut made no sense and over complicate it for me :P ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 057doyler

business is a handy subject and any one is able to at least get a honour in higher level if the put there mind to it!!!!!!

I've decided to take up the both of them till the october exams and see which One I prefer :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Good idea.Personally I would take up business.I did business and economics and ended up dropping economics. Also did it in college as a requirement and hated it. Business is just learning and a lot of it is common sense. I find it very easy to learn.I literally studied two weeks before the leaving cert and got a B in it. Whereas with economics I found it a lot more complicated and found it hard to remember the graphs and stuff cause they all look the same.Very confusing..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kevwall

i would recommend taking business, i personally never did economics, but from what i heard from some repeats last year was that economics is very hard to do within a year, too much information. I did business last year 4 the leaving cert, not a scratch of study done, other than jamming the night before, and came out with a b1. I also only took up business after the junior cert. hope that helps :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 NaSaH

Economics. Has a short nice coarse and really easy to revise. Business is too much.

Right things are sorted and I'm dropping business for Econmoics.

Economics is very easy and short so far and the teacher is excellent,But allot of people said htat when they did econoimcs with other teachers its ussually hard but not with mine luckily :D.

Thanks for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

AFAIK some of the formula for Economics are in the new log-tables, must check it out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

Im 6th year now and im doing both Economics and Business...i think economics is easier than business..It depends..english is not my first language and Economics looks easier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Business has lots of content in it and a year is definitely not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭woodzyx

Daragh101 wrote: »
    neither are easy unless you have an interest in them!..

I really should have copped this last year before I made the decision to take up Economics. I was told that it's an easy points-builder. My arse in fairness. I find it excruciatingly boring and literally have to force myself to do any study for it...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In my experience economics is relatively easy if:

- you find it interesting

- you understand it

(the two usually go together!).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭pixeldesign

I also found it boring...but i have to learn..its only one year left and i`ll finish!!! :)

• Advertisement

One of the reasons I dropped business last year and this eyar was because I found it boring.

But What I like aobut economics is thatits short and more straight foreward...and my teacher is a really fast talker so its not dull:D

Advertisement