Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC higher french one year ???

Options
  • 04-09-2009 11:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I’m currently not in school now. But I am interested in doing French in college. In NUIM or UCD but both require you to have higher level French at LC at grade C3. I never studied French for the LC or JC in which case was a major regent. I have studied some French course’s at home as a hobby.

So is it possible to get a grade C3 in higher level French within a year???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

If french is the only subject you will be doing then yes it is possible if you work real hard. If you are doing the whole leaving cert the I'd say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

do it anyway, sure what can happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Unless you are moving to France for the year or planning to speak the language non-stop, then no: it is all but impossible to get that grade without ever have studied the language before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Depends on how much french you have now with these home courses. Dont forget that you'll have to do an oral exam and an aural exam as well as the written paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

Its a tough question an depends on the person...with french there is alot more than just have a basic grasp of the language, the french marking scheme is riddled with things to catch students out!

Oral: easy peasy if you have a basic grasp of language, just be really selfish and learn to talk about yourself and your opinions for a half hour straight and you'll be fine

Aural: is marked really strictly! this year particulary they would only accept exact words and verbs and would not accept it if the students got the idea of what was happening.

Comprehensions: again they are really picky about what they'll accept, although you quote directly from the passage you will lose marks for extra words as well as incorrect grammar etc.

Composition: usually opinion pieces/arguments so a really good grasp of language is essential and you still have to be able to construct a good argument for whatever topic they give you.

and lets not even start on the rules governing the use of brackets :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

dayned77 wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m currently not in school now. But I am interested in doing French in college. In NUIM or UCD but both require you to have higher level French at LC at grade C3. I never studied French for the LC or JC in which case was a major regent. I have studied some French course’s at home as a hobby.

So is it possible to get a grade C3 in higher level French within a year???
    Ye you can... I did Ordinary l;evel french from first year to feb in 6th year before deciding to take up honours as I realised I needed the points.

In all honesty when I took up the honours course I could say my name, hello, goodbye an knew hoe to form the present tense. That was it!

I studied real hard, doing the honours course in a class of pass students so I more or less taught myself. My teacher just corrected my work and pointed out where I could improve.

I got a C2. Blanked on the day so0 I shouldve done alot better but there you are.

So my advice is do it. You seem motivated so ye do it.
    PunkFreud wrote: »
    Unless you are moving to France for the year or planning to speak the language non-stop, then no: it is all but impossible to get that grade without ever have studied the language before.

That's terrible advice.
    eVeNtInE wrote: »

I think that's a bit harsh now in fairness... Isn't what I'd call bad advice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

It'd really depend on your level of french you've already attained. You'd have an awful lot of work to do to get used to the way French works in the exams, both Junior and Leaving Cert. If you study it like mad you should be able to get it, but that would be with the help of a teacher, and a good one at that. You have your work out, but it's probably possible. Depends on yourself really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭thedizzler

Hi OP,
    Just saw your thread now. As other posters say it really depends on your current level of French. I give French grinds and assess each student at the start of 6th year. If you'd like I can send you this assessment sheet, have a brief look and let you know if you're of a similiar standard to other Leaving Certers or not. Just send me a PM! Best of luck either way!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement