Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jupiter and the moon

Options
  • 04-09-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

How come the last 2 nights jupiter is on the righthand side of the moon and other nights its on the lefthand side?

Comments

Basically, the Moon and Jupiter move at different relative speeds. Jupiter moves across the sky at a rate that's barely perceptible to us, it's only noticeable over a long period of time (i.e. several months), whereas the Moon moves relatively quickly. Because of this, the Moon can "pass" by Jupiter over the course of a few nights.

The actual mechanics of it all is difficult to explain in text, but it's basically due to their different respective relative speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

I understand now thanks :)

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    I understand now thanks :)

No problem.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

No problem.:)

JammyDodger your a genius !! :D
    Hope your tracking is accurate these days ;)

Regards
    Stargate

Stargate wrote: »
    JammyDodger your a genius !! :D
    Hope your tracking is accurate these days ;)

Regards
    Stargate

Hey stargate,

It's working fine alright! I'm just waiting for the ISS to come back next week. I missed the Shuttle launch last weekend, so that was a bad one. How are things with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Hey stargate,

It's working fine alright! I'm just waiting for the ISS to come back next week. I missed the Shuttle launch last weekend, so that was a bad one. How are things with you?

JammyDodger , im great , tnx , nice to see you here !!

Dark cold nights on the way for us all ;)

Advertisement