Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIPS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

hmmmm, ill stick to what i know, the key is to stay calm, breath steady, never unfasten your board

i think we in ireland need to invent a certain hand signal to show that one is caught in a rip, just waving your arms can cause people to come to you they too can get caught

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭rothai

liberal wrote: »
    i think we in ireland need to invent a certain hand signal to show that one is caught in a rip, just waving your arms can cause people to come to you they too can get caught

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 stupidbaby

thought the standard thing was to stick your right hand up in the air? heard that somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I got caught in a rip once surfing on my own when I first started and I paniced. Couldn't help it. Eventually I saw another guy out on his board and I waved at him for help. He waved back and carried on surfing.
    A wave caught me in the end and brought me in to shore.
    I've come across quite a few rips since then and I use them to get out back (after watching them carefully and asking the local guys). I'm grand when I know that they are there, but when they catch me unawares they still freak me out and I have to fight the panic feeling.

yeah the beach suddenly seems so far away

would i be right in saying that rips only cause people to drown because people tired themselves out by swimming against them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

yeah the beach suddenly seems so far away

would i be right in saying that rips only cause people to drown because people tired themselves out by swimming against them?

That and they probably get a few waves over the head as they tire, swallow a few mouthfuls and its all over. Watch that Bondi rescue on tv sometimes and the amount of people they pick up from rips is beyond belief.
    Would always swim with them don't fancy treading water and waitinig to see if it brings me back in.
    More info here.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/

That and they probably get a few waves over the head as they tire, swallow a few mouthfuls and its all over. Watch that Bondi rescue on tv sometimes and the amount of people they pick up from rips is beyond belief.
    Would always swim with them don't fancy treading water and waitinig to see if it brings me back in.
    More info here.

http://www.ripcurrents.noaa.gov/

yeah my brother was rescued on his 1st day in oz in bondi.....he is huge, the lifeguards must of had some job of it

A nice winter wetsuit and sitting on a big bic board you've little to fear if you stay calm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

...A nice winter wetsuit and sitting on a big bic board you've little to fear if you stay calm

Like this? :-D
    A85A1388191D46C98CE665A67138FD1D-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

looks like a spot in west sligo at low tide thonda?

This threading water until you get taken back to shore is a load of BS! might work at some beaches but definitely not all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

What happens if you just sit on a rip on your board? When does it stop?

The next thing you'll see is what your ancestors saw. The statue of liberty!

most rips will just die out not too far from the beach - a good bit past the breaking waves though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

looks like a spot in west sligo at low tide thonda?

Exactly. It was very nice trip and these last few shots on my way home were the best.

Advertisement