Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nominate the best DEBUT album

Options
  • 04-09-2009 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Stilling trying to catch up on what Ive missed in the hiphop/rap world so heres an idea.

Nominate whoever in your opinion had the best DEBUT album.

Shad - when this is over

Read on wiki it cost like $17,500 to make, he won money from a radio competition. How cool is that so I highly rate it, plus its obv class.

Eminem

Obv had a class debut album.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Edgehead

The Game
    Kanye West
    Jay-Z
    Nas

Everybody basically

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Illmatic is one of the best hip hop albums full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Edgehead wrote: »
    The Game
    Kanye West
    Jay-Z
    Nas

Everybody basically

Every rapper has had a great debut album?

Well ignoring albums like Illmatic, Doggystyle, Paid in full, Enter the wu tang, Black on both sides etc.

I'd also add the below without going overboard

Sage Francis - Personal Journals
    Vakill - Darkest Cloud
    Louis Logic - Sin O matic

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Well ignoring albums like Illmatic, Doggystyle, Paid in full, Enter the wu tang, Black on both sides etc.

Vakill - Darkest Cloud

i'd be in agreement on sage and Louis Logic. A few others to throw in the hat

Cecil Otter - Rebel Yellow
    P.O.S. - ipecac Neat
    El P - Fantastic Damage
    Illogic - Unforseen Shadows
    Jay Z - Reasonable Doubt

so many many many more

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Without mentioning the obvious one's

Organized Konfusion - Organized konfusion (Pharoahes 2nd erse on ''prisoners of war'' = greatest verse in hip hop history in my opinion. Lyrical madness throughout. The most gifted duo that hip hop has seen are also one the most overlooked)

Ultramagnetic Mc's - Critical beatdown (Way ahead of it's time, Kool Keith was at his best, NOBODY was spitting like him in the 80's! incredible production aswell,one of the most sampled albums in hip hop)

Typical Cats - Typical Cats (Qwel's best performance to date,quazaar and denizan kane came correct aswell, production is simple but it fits perfectly)

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe (Amazing album considering it was made in 10 hours on a $500 budget. The emcees sound so fresh and the production is great aswell)

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (Hated this at 1st. Just couldn't get into it, now it's one of my favorites. The soundscape is unreal, El-P was at his peak here. Vast Aire's performance on here is up their with the best of 'em. Vorbul Mega just completed it off. THE ''Definitive'' Jux album for me)

Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies (I don't think ive ever heard anyone spit as many multi's as breezly brewin' on this lp (Eminem on ''infinite'' comes close though). Lyrically this album is in my top 10, maybe even top 5. Production is great for the most part. ''Trouble Man'' and ''Clear Blue Skies'' are two of underground Hip Hop's finest moments, with the latter being the most powerful song about racism that ive ever heard)

Also agree with the dude who said Vakill - Darkest Cloud, it's way too overlooked but it's fantastic, too many quatables that album!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Maxinquaye-Tricky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Edgehead

Vakill - Darkest Cloud

Naaa I just meant rappers RARELY improve on their debut

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Maxinquaye-Tricky

not strictly hip hop, but this is an excellent album, Martina Topley Bird really shines on this
    horsebox09 wrote: »
    Without mentioning the obvious one's

Organized Konfusion - Organized konfusion (Pharoahes 2nd erse on ''prisoners of war'' = greatest verse in hip hop history in my opinion. Lyrical madness throughout. The most gifted duo that hip hop has seen are also one the most overlooked)

Ultramagnetic Mc's - Critical beatdown (Way ahead of it's time, Kool Keith was at his best, NOBODY was spitting like him in the 80's! incredible production aswell,one of the most sampled albums in hip hop)

Typical Cats - Typical Cats (Qwel's best performance to date,quazaar and denizan kane came correct aswell, production is simple but it fits perfectly)

Binary Star - Masters of the Universe (Amazing album considering it was made in 10 hours on a $500 budget. The emcees sound so fresh and the production is great aswell)

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein (Hated this at 1st. Just couldn't get into it, now it's one of my favorites. The soundscape is unreal, El-P was at his peak here. Vast Aire's performance on here is up their with the best of 'em. Vorbul Mega just completed it off. THE ''Definitive'' Jux album for me)

Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies (I don't think ive ever heard anyone spit as many multi's as breezly brewin' on this lp (Eminem on ''infinite'' comes close though). Lyrically this album is in my top 10, maybe even top 5. Production is great for the most part. ''Trouble Man'' and ''Clear Blue Skies'' are two of underground Hip Hop's finest moments, with the latter being the most powerful song about racism that ive ever heard)

Also agree with the dude who said Vakill - Darkest Cloud, it's way too overlooked but it's fantastic, too many quatables that album!

never heard the Vakill, Binary Star or Jugganots albums. But i agree with the others listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    not strictly hip hop, but this is an excellent album, Martina Topley Bird really shines on this

never heard the Vakill, Binary Star or Jugganots albums. But i agree with the others listed.

Their definetly worth checking out,especially binary stars album.

Vakill is kind of like a mix between ras kass and chino xl,if your into those two you'd like him,has a track with slug called ''fallen'', great concept track.

The juggaknots album is hard to get but it's well worth looking for, Breezly Brewin is on fire throughout the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

either

JURASSIC 5 - J5LP

or

THE STREETS - Original Pirate Material

(hiphop or not?)

Da GOAT wrote: »
    Eminem

His first album was great - very fresh at the time. Now he's just beating that dead horse over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Strange_Fruit

senim silla and one be lo both released great solo material after binary star

• Registered Users Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Messiah J & The Expert - What's Confusing you

Excellent debut album!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Nas, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang, Snoop, Kanye, Nappy Roots, Ice Cube, Jurassic 5, OutKast and Notorious BIG all had great debuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Outkast - Atliens

And as already noted by boom bap El-Ps and Jay-Zs debuts are classics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Outkast - Atliens

And as already noted by boom bap El-Ps and Jay-Zs debuts are classics
    OutKast's debut was Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, ATLiens was their second.

Sorry, had to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Sorry, had to. ;)

I can't believe i wrote that:o I meant southernplaya... My favourite group of all time and i feck that up. I'll blame it on the fact i just got back from EP an hour ago.... (Hip hop related - Roots Manuva very good:p)

Also,

Mos Def (Solo!) - Black on Both Sides

Sorry, had to. ;)

aye, i would have too........but it is a classic too!

I can't believe i wrote that:o I meant southernplaya... My favourite group of all time and i feck that up. I'll blame it on the fact i just got back from EP an hour ago.... (Hip hop related - Roots Manuva very good:p)

Also,

Mos Def (Solo!) - Black on Both Sides

we wont hold it against you so :D

i dont think that Black on Both Sides is a classic, it is extremely good but i find the album is too long and there is some fat that could have been trimmed.

just had a very quick scan through iTunes and there are a few others that jump out; O.C., Jeru, Das EFX, RJD2, Cube.
    ......and this is my machine in work so it doesnt have my full library on it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

the game the documentry

Advertisement