Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future decisons....Confused??

Options
  • 04-09-2009 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Is there anyone really confuse with what they wanna to do in the future? I keep changing my mind, 1st it was archaeology den multimedia...Now im lookin at computers,german, montessori teaching and midwifery do anyone just feel like there lost??

All my friends seem to know what they wanna do aswell....I think thers such too much choice out there....then i have pressure from my family about doing a course where i can get a job...and to make matters worse i have medical problems

And i also have a crap guidance counsellor we spent da class learning bout the points system which everyone knew about....

So what are you all thinking about doing for the future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

LovexxLife wrote: »
    And i also have a crap guidance counsellor we spent da class learning bout the points system which everyone knew about....

Do you have even the slightest notion of just how many LC students dont understand the CAO forms and points system? Two guys I was in a group with a few days ago in college didnt seem to have a clue how it worked, and a good friend of mine (who did better than me in the LC) has to either do nothing for a year or go to DBS because he fúcked up his CAO application.

A guidance teacher can help you in you decision making but it is up to you to research careers that might interest you, this is your future.

Read all the prospectuses, draw up a short list of courses that interest you.

DO NOT pick a course because of the job prospects (Of course consider it) pick it because you are interested in the subject. I completely understand that parents will encourage to go down a path, and you should listen to them, but it is not their education.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Fad wrote: »
    Do you have even the slightest notion of just how many LC students dont understand the CAO forms and points system?
    This is true. The amount of people who ask if they can add points up from different sittings of the leaving cert and what the points are going to be for next year, and other things they ought to know from careers class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I'm in the same position OP it's a hard decision but don't worry i'm sure by the end of the year we'll both have more of an idea of what we want to do,, hopefully anyway! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Is there anyone really confuse with what they wanna to do in the future?
    I wouldn't worry about it yet.some of my friends didn't know what they wanted to do after the cao deadline had passed,so they just put any course down.Have a good think about it and if you still don't know take a year out.I'm not sure that picking a really broad course such as arts or commerce is always the best way to go if you're unsure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 countcraicula

I used to be really confused, but not anymore. I think it's good that you at least have a few ideas on what you're interested in, unlike my old self who absolutely had nothing on her mind but pressure that overpowered my desire to finish college as soon as possible. Of course, there were a lot of external pressure like family and friends, etc.

Have you considered taking the year off? In the mean time, you could spend your time taking up jobs in fields that interest you. How about short courses? I think that will help narrow down your choices, amongst other things. Enumerate your strengths and weaknesses so you could weigh things properly - that should help, too.

Anyway, I was so lost I ended up enrolling myself to different undergraduate degrees in the span of three years, all for the sake of being in college like my friends. Last year though, just before I handed in my payment to what would have been my fourth, I decided that maybe I should unwind a little.

I spent most of the year reminiscing, and then it hit me: I want to do Dental Med! It's probably due to a lot of exposure as an adolescent, which I immensely enjoyed. Now at 20, I am a 5th yr student who's going to sit the Leaving Cert in 2011. Hopefully I acquire the points I need as I can not see myself doing something else tbh - otherwise there's always Plan B :)

I'm sure you'll figure something out. Good luck! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Lawliet wrote: »
    This is true. The amount of people who ask if they can add points up from different sittings of the leaving cert and what the points are going to be for next year, and other things they ought to know from careers class.

The amount of people who dont know how the points for a course are set......

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

When I was doing my CAO/UCAS i went through about 200 different courses from journalism to science to sports management, even changed my cao at literaly the last minute on deadline day.

I'm now starting science in NUIG on the 14th, and still not fully confident its what i want to do! I've done so much worrying over the last 12 months about college courses, future jobs etc, i'm just sick of being worried so i've decided not to worry anymore, i did the best i could of done in my leaving cert and doing a pretty decent courses that i think ill enjoy. So i'm just going to try enjoy college life and my course.

There is loads of people in your position, just go for what you feels right for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

Look, it will go either one of two ways.

The first possibility is that you will come to a realisation of what you want to do, and apply for it accordingly.

The second possibility is the one which unfolds for the majority of students - you will remain unsure of what you want to do until well into college. You may even graduate from third level without having a clue what to do next.

Essentially; uncertainty is not uncommon, and may not be dispelled until a person is in their 20s (or 30s...or even older than that). Don't expect a sudden flash of inspiration - it's unlikely to come to you. Instead of panicking about courses, spend the beginning of 6th year working for the LC, in order to allow you to pick the course which may not be perfect, but suits you best, and will enable you to explore your options as you move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

i had the worse guidance counsellor, every class she'd run through the same description of the points system:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

im starting college monday and i still dont know what i want to do were still young dont worry but do think about it dont leave it too long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

you will probably change your mind about a thousand times between now and applying for college..heck im starting college in 2 weeks and i dont really know if its what i want it just sounds interesting ha

Advertisement