Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant defy 4 2010

Options
  • 04-09-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all,
    I have just ordered my defy 4 2010 (under the cycle to work scheme) I am new to road biking and can't wait to get it, however, I can't seem to find any reviews for 2010 model on d'internet. I came across some 2009 reviews and it seems pretty good, I know its only an entry level bike but would like to hear if anyone has a 2010 model and what is it like? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

my friend is thinking of buying on under the cycle to work ,its about 770 euro how much will it cost him under the BTW thanks jw

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

jwshooter wrote: »
    my friend is thinking of buying on under the cycle to work ,its about 770 euro how much will it cost him under the BTW thanks jw

It depends on his top income tax rate. If he's paying tax at 20% then he would save about €150; if he pays at 41% then he will save about €310:

http://www.biketowork.ie/site/

The employer will also save on paying employee PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

he'll save even more than that - you also save on the income and health levies and PRSI - top rate is effectively 51% at the moment for anyone earning under 75k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

There's a savings calculator at the bottom of this page: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/BikeToWork

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

Yep. I bought one on the scheme. I am very sattisfied with the bike. I used to cycle a lot back 20 to 30 years ago. on a sturdy steel-framed german road bike.

Last 20 years I have been on a heavy steel-framed ATB. an Excelent bike - but slow and heavy on the road. On my first outing on the Giant, I could literaly NOT believe the difference. My sustained speed was increassed at least 30% at the same time as my sustained effort level was reduced by at least 10%. Un-believable difference. Only one complaint. I dont really like the amount of forward lean required for the drop handles, even when not using the drops. I think I will fit a ATB style bar for comfort. Only thing is I dont know if its a 2010 bike or a 2009 bike. I cant see how the year will make any real difference to performance / spec ... It will be the same Geometry, and weight - give or talke a few ounces. The breaks / gears may be a slightly different version of the same make/model. and of course the colour scheme may be different ( this will be the only noticable difference ... Mine is Black-Red-&-White.
    Well worth the 700Euros. :) Tax free. And one more benefit ... It has given me the extra edge of motivation to finally quit the smokes and get maximum benefit from the bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement