Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to go on J1??

Options
  • 04-09-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

plannin on going J1 next summer, any advice on where to go and why the places are good, will need a job so employment is important. any other advice also appreciated:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Stay away from the west coast anyway no jobs there! Any of the holiday resorts on the east coasts would be nice such as ocean city, newport, myrtle beach and virginia beach i heard good things from people about these places so they might be worth checking out! or if youd prefer cities Boston and Chicago are meant to be pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

The US is screwed for jobs. Unless you go work on a farm or something in Lincoln, Nebraska.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

The US has loads of jobs on the east coast so i dont no why people always say theres none, everyone i no who went on a j1 to the east coast got jobs this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 outta_here

I would def go for east coast.If u find the idea of nyc a little daunting then Boston all the way.Its a great city,irish heritage but not overly so(its not like the way austrailia is these days where the only people u meet when out are irish!!) plenty of work especially next summer as the economy in the states is starting to pick up and when economies like the states start to pick up you'd be surprised how quickly things can take off, despite all the scaremongering!!:D housing is also plentiflull in boston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 louise.m

Hi le souteneur,
    I haven't been to east coast so I can't comment but I did spend this summer in Santa Barbara, CA and it was nothing short of amazing. We lived in the college town Isla Vista, about 20 mins from SB and it would really suit you or your friends if ye were under 21 because it's all house parties and mad ones at that. Santa Barbara was thee most gorgeous place I've ever been to.
    We found it pretty easy to find a house, we got it on Craigslist before we left but you do need to be wary of that I guess.
    The jobs situation, well, you would be able to get a job if you really wanted to. Out of the ten of us, two of us got jobs but the others really weren't bothered and went home early after just an extended sun holiday. We had jobs in the university cleaning dorms, total cushy number. If you want contact info for the job PM me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clare8390

just spent the summer in Miami Florida... most amazing place ever gorgeous weather great beaches and CRAZY people... so many different cultures different people beautiful place! so many different things 2 do... nightlife is amazing although u would need a fake id.... worked in an irish bar handy hours good tips etc... if you need a contact just pm me..

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

A group of friends and I went to Berkeley this Summer. We had the best time and made some great friends and had experiences that will never be forgotten e.g Vegas, Santa Cruz for July 4th etc.

Berkeley is a college town so we stayed in a frat house. They are always looking for people to rent during the summer as a good few of the students leave for 3 months. These frat houses are amazing. They're huge! Ours had 16 (big) bedrooms and ample living/recreational areas. And it's pretty inexpensive too.

The parties. Oh the parties.

And a big plus is that it is about 20 mins to San Fran via the train. So you could get a job in Berkeley or in an Fran. A lot more jobs available in San Fran though.

Anyways lot of Irish people go to Berkeley so there's no shortage of them if that's what you're looking for. The was two other groups of Irish people in our frat alone. But plenty of really cool Americans to balance it out.

The year before that ('08) I went to Chicago. Also an amazing city. Definitely my favourite place in the world so far. I'm tired of typing so I wont go into detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The US is screwed for jobs. Unless you go work on a farm or something in Lincoln, Nebraska.

I have around 6 or 7 friends who went in various directions across America the last two summers and they all found jobs. I was in Alaska and they have jobs pouring out of their eyeballs.

The best piece of advice I can give you is to find out the tourist destinations (National parks etc) and you will usually find a whole lot of businesses that only begin hiring in May and then again in July when the season peaks for visitors. Seriously, that formula will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

Went to San Diego last summer (09)....we all got jobs within the first three weeks (of June)..although we didn't get many hours.

San Diego's a good spot. Too many Irish though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

The Agogo wrote: »
    San Diego's a good spot. Too many Irish though

That's been the case for a few years now and it always surprises me that people don't realise this before they go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Was in Berkeley aswell myself last summer and was staying in college accomodation. really great spot, lovely weather and some great people over there. as for jobs myself and a mate of mine were workin with an Irish plumber over in San Francisco. only bad part about that was having to be up pretty early in the morning to catch the train over to SF. Plenty of sights to see over in SF too not least of which was Alcatraz!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

The Agogo wrote: »
    Went to San Diego last summer (09)....we all got jobs within the first three weeks (of June)..although we didn't get many hours.

I gotta ask, where did you find jobs? I went there two summers in a row and found nothing until the last minute!

Advertisement