Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute Advice!

Options
  • 04-09-2009 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Right so, i'm starting in The Institute next week and i'm looking for advice as to which teachers would be recommended for my subjects.

I know I get two weeks to try out all of them but a two week impression mightn't give me a good enough insight. :)

So my subjects are:

HL Maths
    HL Accounting
    HL Economics
    HL Geography
    HL History
    HL Ag. Science

I know in some subjects there are two to three different teachers, so if anyone has any info as to which ones i should opt for, that'd be great! :)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Irishtrojan

Me too.

HL Maths
    HL Accounting
    HL Geography
    HL Business
    HL History
    HL English

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

i didnt do most of your subjects but for maths hl - aidan rowantree and for geography probably jim carberry(hes the best of a bad bunch)
    there are other threads on here about the institute with recommendations of teachers if you have a look down through the last couple of pages:)

Me too.

HL Maths
    HL Accounting
    HL Geography
    HL Business
    HL History
    HL English
    english,there is a huge selection , ive had most of the english teachers and id recommend.
    comparative-cathy sweeney
    language(paper 1) - cathy sweeney
    Drama- cian hogan or paul mc cormack, i think paul mc cormack is better but sometimes you cant choose him for drama if you havent been in his 5th year class
    poetry- paul mc cormack
    i had jim lusby for drama and language in 5th year and thought he was crap, denis craevan for poetry and didnt find him too good although he will go out of his way to help

oh by the way , the full names are not on the list of times you get.
    csw is cathy sweeney
    cho(or ch) is cian hogan
    pmc(paul mc cormack)
    dc is denis craevan
    jl is jim lusby
    jcar is jim carberry

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Why not look for an Institute forum?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

HL Maths
    HL Accounting
    HL Economics
    HL Geography
    HL History
    HL Ag. Science

Take aidan rowntree for maths
    Arthur russel for accounting he is amazing
    Take keith hannigan for economics
    Jim carberry for geog
    Ag science der is only one teacher Donal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Me too.

HL Maths
    HL Accounting
    HL Geography
    HL Business
    HL History
    HL English

maths aidan rowntree
    arthur russel for accountin
    jim carberry geog
    Willy murphy for busines..he is so funny and great teacher ,plus he wrote the book we have to use
    English:
    language take jim lusby
    poetry take paul mccormack
    Drama take Cian Hogan
    Comparative everyone seems to have liked cathy sweeney last year but when I was there for 3 years before people did a lot better with the other teachers and didnt like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppy08

HL Maths
    HL Accounting
    HL Geography
    HL Business
    HL History
    HL English

Will heres my 2cents worth:

Business:

William Murphy(my choice) he's v.entertaining and holds your attention, so u'll have no problems concentrating. I did find his classes were a little drawn out (but i was repeating the course). He gives you a little "test-ine" every other week and written hwrk in between. He does give you loads of LCQ's +sample ans which you shud practice urself....I wud have preferred if i had more of my own work correcteed by him, but i got my A1 so mweh.

The other option is Keitho, he just loves giving you tests (last yrs class did 2 or 3 mocks i think!) i almost switched to his class because i just wanted a quick straight forward run through the course. i've heard rave reviews about both throughout the yr so u can't go wrong with business:D

English:

P1: Cathy Sweeney i didn't choose her and have live to regret it...

Drama: Cian Hogan is brilliant! funny guy, who realises not everyone cares about shakespeare but everyone needs points:rolleyes: do exactly what he says and you'll fly through (if you're lucky he'll give you tips for french aswell!:cool:)

Comparative: Cathy Sweeney was my choice, her classes are wedged so it can be hard to concentrate at times. I really liked her as a teacher, her notes are concise and her classes are well structured so it easy to see how all the texts compare but judging from my actual paper...i would scout around and see whats on offer..

Poetry: (my Choice) Denis Creaven, he's like a loopy uncle. His classes are drama at its best, he will literally act out poems(i doubt a class went by when he didn't steal a bottle of water and soak the floors/walls/chairs..students. He repeats quotes that are important so you'll remember them easily. ( he even has cds with notes on the poets, rather strangely he hates the idea of students reading books full of notes on poets). He can be a little fustrating and his notes may seem alittle too childish but it gets you thinking ( it worked for my exam anyway!)

Once i went to a Paul Mc cormack poetry class, even though there was about 300+ students ( they had to bring in emergency seats and a huge crowd of students had to be turned away:eek:) he held everyones attention. i always hear how good his classes are but the room was far too full for me to ever go back:o

If you're unsure which teacher to choose, go to their class!?! For the first few weeks go to as many extra classes as you can, see what the other options for teachers are, they're all great, just some teachers will suit you better ( wish i knew you could do that, way back when;))

Advertisement