Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sennheiser HD380 PRO - £97.50 inc. VAT @ Chemical Records

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Hey. Do you know of anywhere in Ireland you can listen to headphone and amp setups before buying?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭corkproducers

Hey. Do you know of anywhere in Ireland you can listen to headphone and amp setups before buying?

I dont man, just bought this one deaf (as opposed to blind!).

When i bought my Sony MDRV-700s (which i have just binned) from the Sony Centre in cork,
    they let me try them out alright, but im not sure if they sell headphone amps?

If youre interested in an expensive pair of headphones i'd reckon most stores would let you try them out, unless you're buying them in a supermarket or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Yea might also find another pair here: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Sennheiser/All-Products
    I don't see the HD 380s though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

Corkproducers: I have the Sony MDRV-700s too and I am very happy with their sound quality. The only thing about them is the build quality is shocking - mine are held together by copious amounts of superglue and selotape at this stage!!

A couple of questions for you -

Is the HD 380 a superior set of headphones to the MDRV-700 in terms of sound quality? When you say you binned the Sony headphones - was that because they fell apart or because of the sound difference?

Any idea if they HD 380 is a durable, long wearing set of headphones? Very cautious about headphones after my experience with Sony...

Ardent wrote: »
    Corkproducers: I have the Sony MDRV-700s too and I am very happy with their sound quality. The only thing about them is the build quality is shocking - mine are held together by copious amounts of superglue and selotape at this stage!!

A couple of questions for you -

Is the HD 380 a superior set of headphones to the MDRV-700 in terms of sound quality? When you say you binned the Sony headphones - was that because they fell apart or because of the sound difference?

Any idea if they HD 380 is a durable, long wearing set of headphones? Very cautious about headphones after my experience with Sony...

You need to look here. http://www.head-fi.org/ :)

• Advertisement

You need to look here. http://www.head-fi.org/ :)

Even if I could find a direct comparison that site there are too many OTT Sony haters / Sennheiser fanboys.

Even if I could find a direct comparison that site there are too many OTT Sony haters / Sennheiser fanboys.

Do you want someone to simply say yes there better or do you want some sort of objective opinion? Should be easy to spot most of the fanboys and disregard their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Do you want someone to simply say yes there better or do you want some sort of objective opinion? Should be easy to spot most of the fanboys and disregard their posts.

true.

TBH i just got sick of supergluing and sellotaping one side, the other side had a tiny crack that i got to in time with the glue which held up,
    if you catch these little cracks before they get worse they shouldnt break at all.

Besides that i kind of wanted an excuse to get another pair. ;)
    Ive had the sonys a good 5 years now i'd say.

The sound quality was fine, no complaints there,
    although theres a huge boost on the low end,
    making the bass sound too artificial for my liking, but all DJ headphones are like this, even the HD25s.

The HD380s seem to have a fairly flat frequency resonse for the price:

graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=543&graphID[]=223

the Beyerdynamic DT-250s are even flatter above the low end, but i wouldnt be into the feel of them.

Some guy over at head-fi who bought them said they were pretty accurate, just like their brother, the HD280s (which also have terrible build quality like the mdr-v700).

Theyre meant to have great isolation of 32dB, the PXC350 model is practically identical in design, except it has noise cancellation,
    and even without it turned on it, the isolation is pretty impressive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQdbcDTiIas

I can only imagine and hope the build quality is much better than the 280s,
    they should be a more improved headphone all round.

I have packed in the djing since, so something accurate is what im after for production,
    which other users will refer to as "Dull", "boring", or "lacking personality".

So what sounds "better" is subjective and upto the user.

Anyways I'll let you know what i think of them when i get to try them out. :)

Christ man, theres some utter **** on there alright.
    Some topics can be real pain to read through.
    One guy went so far as doing a review of the model
    only to say on the last line *note, i have not actually listened to these headphones!

Why bother?

Anyways theres 3 reviews of them on there, the 2 informative ones had praise for them, (how surprising!)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sennheiser-hd-380-pro-rather-large-photos-inside-378999/index6.html#post5412957

Btw, a guy i know on another forum pointed out that the mdr-7506 is basically the mdr-v700s in a different desgin,
    so maybe that would be a good alternative to the Superstar Deejay headphones! ;)

• Advertisement

kerbdog wrote: »
    Yea might also find another pair here: http://www.mymemory.co.uk/Sennheiser/All-Products
    I don't see the HD 380s though

Nice one, I totally forgot to check mymemory!
    I was actually going to buy them on dv247.com first,
    but they jacked up the price by £25 the very day i wanted to buy them!

Cheers man. I decided to take a punt on the 380s in the end. Thanks for the link, it's a good price for them (they are $200 on amazon.com!). They have gotten good reviews so I think I will be happy with the purchase, will be good to have something different to the MDR-V700s.

Christ man, theres some utter **** on there alright.
    Some topics can be real pain to read through.

I spent a couple of hours reading that forum today. It's mind boggling how the same haters pop up on each and every Sony thread!!

I spent a couple of hours reading that forum today. It's mind boggling how the same haters pop up on each and every Sony thread!!

I should probably have mentioned they are meant to have really big cups.
    The padding should actually fit around your ears rather than on them i think.

Thats a reason the hd25s were out for me, my ears are too long for them.

I hope you end up liking them anyway!

And incase you didnt spot it on head-fi,
    the hd555 velour pads should fit them, if you feel the leatherette pads make your ears too hot.

The cheapest i have found is here, (shipping is £5~):

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/sennheiser-velour-replacement-ear-pads-hd555-hd595-094738-prodid-1877.html

You can order them direct from sennheiser too by ringing them, at least in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Cheers man. I decided to take a punt on the 380s in the end.

tried a pair of these on in xmusic today. Their circa €148 in the shop. Large comfortable ear piece and pretty light. I think their excellent. Will take a punt myself!

Where did you buy them in the end? and what price?

Lawdie wrote: »
    tried a pair of these on in xmusic today. Their circa €148 in the shop. Large comfortable ear piece and pretty light. I think their excellent. Will take a punt myself!

Where did you buy them in the end? and what price?

That wasnt bad considering its the same price as thomann!

Music technology are the only place i know of who match their prices.

Where is Xmusic if you dont mind me asking?

Id imagine he bought them from chemical too,

and the price comes to 120 euros including p+p.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

They are at the back of red cow hotel. Very good music store. I dropped on and they had about six models to try on. I'm nearly sure that was the cost price.

So what were saying is, for a slightly higher price, but buying local, xmusic?

I bought them today off chemical, the site corkproducer linked to in the original post. About £105 after shipping.

They finally came today, must have been a slow week for the post.

These things are huge! Cant believe my whole ear fits into the centre!

The isolation is astonishing too.
    The lead is much thicker than it looks in the picture, even thicker than the lead of the sony mdr-v700s.

The case is great quality, seems really tough and durable.
    It has a mould inside it with the cups fit into, and an imprint of the headband to show you easily which way it fits in.

As for the sonud, the first thing i noticed how deep the bass was.
    Sounds much more realistic than the sonys, i couldnt see the point in boosting it any futher.
    I found myself fiddling with the 320hz,
    and 6K eq sliders in winamp, i think the sound is lacking the most in and around those frequencys.

I think the sonys may have had a better response in the mid end,
    but i never really compared them to my monitors before.

So the overall initial verdict is great value for the price, but you need some eq to get them just right.

They may change after a burn in period however.

You may be right about a an post problem. I was expecting one or two things that didn't arrive this week.

Good to see your fairly happy with the phones.

I went and ordered a pair of Grado SR225i phones the last day. Had the Senn HD650 before and the Grado SR80. I'm going to get an amp for the 225i's aswell.

• Advertisement

You may be right about a an post problem. I was expecting one or two things that didn't arrive this week.

Good to see your fairly happy with the phones.

I went and ordered a pair of Grado SR225i phones the last day. Had the Senn HD650 before and the Grado SR80. I'm going to get an amp for the 225i's aswell.

I cant really bring myself to say it was a problem,
    we're spoilt in this age for post times,
    people used have to wait weeks before to get something in the post! :D

Thats some high end range you have there,
    i couldnt see the hd380 pro impressing you at all, not by a longshot! ;)

Can't believe I am still waiting for these. It's over a week now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Got a brand new set of MDR700s (needed for a gig) in Pavillions Swords HMV, 100 euro, they were like 150 when I last bought them (3/4 yrs ago).....

If I had more cash I would have got Seinheissers but the Sonys are a lot more solid in a club booth.... (where I would mainly be using them)

Can't believe I am still waiting for these. It's over a week now!

Sorry to hear that man, thats very strange.

Have you tried contacting them?

I'd imagine mine went through the same customs office like yours did.

Cant understand what the big hold up is.

Btw, a friend of mine who bought the MDR-V700s more recently than I did,
    said there was an orange sticker on the pack that mentioned an improved redesign in the headband.
    He has had no problems with them yet, so i wonder if sony has actually fixed the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Just ordered a pair of these:

https://www.chemical-records.co.uk/sc/servlet/Info?Track=HD380

Postage to ireland is only £5 odd.

The same pair is £123.35 excluding shipping on Thomann.de,
    which says a lot.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sennheiser_hd_380_pro.htm

I ordered a gig bag from chemical records last monday week after 4pm,
    and i got it Thursday morning, so theyre pretty fast, and theyre communication is very fast too.

Thanks for posting this. I got mine for 93.15£ (shipping was slightly more expensive than 5 and that is already included in the 93.15, so it appears to be even better price than originally advertised on this post)

Thanks again for bringing it to our attention!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 120 ✭✭ludermor

Even better value when you factor in 4 years inflation!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ludermor wrote: »
    Even better value when you factor in 4 years inflation!
    Still beats Dr. Dre.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

XMusic beside the Red Cow Roundabout would be your best bet. They have Sennheisers and Pioneer gear set up on their first floor.

• Advertisement

These were indeed a bargain buy. 4 years on and they are still going strong, very well built.

They are my every day headphones for the studio - I can wear them for hours and not suffer from sore ears like other headphones. Sound is good too, just be patient as they bed in.

Advertisement