Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phone Socket - Possible to Filter At Source?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've recently just moved into a new house. The electrician put a phone socket in every room in the house using what looks like cat5e, daisy chaining from socket to socket.

The thing is am I going to have to use either a single or dual port filter (depending on where I locate my route) for every device I connect to a socket?

I have yet to open up the eircom line in socket and take a look but is the eircom socket pre-filtered? I don't know how the box is configured but I presume there is a master in connected to the electricans run of cat5e starting the daisy chain sequence.

If the eircom socket isnt filtered, is there a way to make it filtered?

And i'm even thinking mcgyver style fixes - like trying to use the single port dsl filter between the eircom line in and the start of cat5e daisy chain.

Anyway, just though i'd throw this out there and see if there are any genuine solutions or it could all be just wishful thinking on my part!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Hi,

I've recently just moved into a new house. The electrician put a phone socket in every room in the house using what looks like cat5e, daisy chaining from socket to socket.

The thing is am I going to have to use either a single or dual port filter (depending on where I locate my route) for every device I connect to a socket?

I have yet to open up the eircom line in socket and take a look but is the eircom socket pre-filtered? I don't know how the box is configured but I presume there is a master in connected to the electricans run of cat5e starting the daisy chain sequence.

If the eircom socket isnt filtered, is there a way to make it filtered?

And i'm even thinking mcgyver style fixes - like trying to use the single port dsl filter between the eircom line in and the start of cat5e daisy chain.

Anyway, just though i'd throw this out there and see if there are any genuine solutions or it could all be just wishful thinking on my part!!
    Yes you can. The wire that goes into the back of your MTP will need to come out and be converted into a standard RJ11 connection. Then, in your MTP - place a double filter and connect your Broadband in the DSL side and the daisy chain in the phone side. Done, everything is then filtered.

filter_scenario.jpg

EDIT: A quick Google also found me this too, which shows its a bit better.

microsplitter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Thanks for the reply cpu-dude however....

i'm a right n00b. is there anyway you can provide low level detail like whats wired, connected to what etc. I can understand the diagrams fine but I want to do everything inside the eircom socket and don't know enough info to get it clear in my head....if that makes sense.

even a freestyle image in paint would suffice!

when you say rj11 connection, do you mean an rj11 jack? the double filter is plugged into this? then the daisy chain phone cable connected to the phone input in the filter?

thanks again for your help so far

Advertisement