Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 Year, 2 Stone and 3 Goals!

• 04-09-2009 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Some background information: I’m 29 years old, weigh approximately 114kg, am 6 foot 3 inches tall and currently smoke and have a dreadful diet.

I recently completed the Warriors Run 2009 in a little over two hours after very poor preparation.

My goals are as follows:
    · To run the Warriors Run 2010 in 01:30:00
    · To lose approximately 2 stone
    · To quit smoking and improve my diet in order to achieve the first two goals.

I am a member of a gym and have been going semi regularly over the last couple of months. And have decided to start this log to get tips, information and of course encouragement to achieve my goals and also to keep track of my progress.

I’m also hoping to add some other running events in between now and next year to give me soething to work towards. The BUPA 10km in the Phoenix Park for one, possibly the Connemara Half Marathon, the Adidas 5mile and 10mile next year and any other events that might be helpful.

Obviously I’m not a very competitive runner; just want to have goals so my exercise routine isn’t too boring! Anyway, any advice comments would be welcome.

Some topics I’ve been giving thought to are:
    Gait analysis and professionally recommended runners: worth getting?
    Routes for practicing hills around the Dublin area: Any recommendations?
    Gym work for weight loss that would benefit my running too?

And of course having lurked around these threads for a while I realise that real weight loss is achieved in the kitchen rather than the gym. Any good websites that can help?

On a final note, I rolled my ankle during the run last weekend (on the way up the bloody hill!) so I’m taking it easy this weekend (World Cup Qualifiers and the All-Ireland Final will mean a weekend spent mostly in the pub!) But aiming to quit the smokes and hit the gym from Monday, so this will be a final weekend of decadence and excess before my new regime kicks in! Wish me luck!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Moved by request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,534 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck Molybdenum42. They sound like very achievable goals. You can get the gait analysis done at the same time as buying your next pair of shoes. AmphibianKing in Bray does a pretty good job, and is usually well recommended around these part.

No end of hills around the Dublin area. There have been threads about this in the main forum in the past, so best place to start your search is there. It really depends on what area of Dublin you are in. For hill-running, IMRA (Irish mountain runners Assoc) is the generally recommended route and there'll be plenty of races between now and the Warrior run next year to improve your hill climbing and descent.

Advertisement