Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student, Single Parent, Nursing?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post.

I have always wanted to go back and study Nursing (General and Children Integrated/General Nursing or Midwifery) in Trinity (if possible). Im well informed on the process but never felt confident enough to apply.

The only thing holding me back is the hours. I would probably manage financially and get in the study aswell but with the work placements I hear it could be very early starts and late finishes etc... I do have people to help me out occassionally and I am never stuck for a babysitter but could not rely on nor would I ask especially with anti-social hours. She is in school now starting at 8.50am, will be off at 2.30. I dont know how this would work. I was thinking of a live-out aupair but I may not be able to afford that

Has anyone done this or are there exceptions made at all? I really feel that this is the time to apply so its now or never! There are a few other courses that are more appropriate and but this is my dream.:)

Any thoughts would be appreciated! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 greengal

Buzibee the only thing I can say is if you really want it then go ahead and do it. You can do it it's only yourself holding you back. I'm a young single parent and I'm starting college as a mature student in 3 days time. I too have always wanted to do nursing since I left school but never thought I could, stigma's attached and all that. This next comment might put a bee in some peoples bonnet but anyway since you are a single parent you will get alot of extra supports, and I don't just mean financially.
    It will not be easy but it is very much possible. The hours are not as bad as they seem. College is 9-5 (similar to any other job) and placements are the same. you might also get a 3 day placement(7-7, 8-8, etc) and although this can be awkward it means you get more time with your daughter.
    Maybe you feel like you will never see your daughter but it is no different to a Full Time job, so there's no need to feel guilty.
    Just be aware of placements, some can be quite a fair bit away from your college/home. Do you really want a 2hr drive each way to placement. there is some leniancy and understanding here, some colleges can be understanding, but this is definitely not guaranteed.
    There's not much info on the internet about specific courses, it can be very general.I would advise you to get in touch with each of the colleges you would hope to attend. There are people there to answer your questions. Also if you do get a place on a course and the 'people in the know' know you , then you're off to a great start. Inform yourself what each course intails and look at all your options.
    Anyway I hope I have been of some assistance. And believe in yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

Hi Greengal,

I hope to return to college as a mature student next year im also a single mother.

Can you tell me of the extra supports etc that i can avail of? I know its a bit early to ask but i would like to know what to look into.

Advertisement