Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone doesn't work but Fax does - same line?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Have phone & fax machine connected up to the one line.
    Everything worked fine till a day or two ago when suddenly the phones are no longer getting any dial tone but the fax machine still works fine. I can even make/take phone calls off the fax machine but I just can't get the phone(s) to work.
    Both cables are connected into a splitter. If i remove the splitter and just plug in phone directly nothing happens! I've tried changing phone, still nothing happens. But all the time my fax machine is fine.

What the hell has happened? I'll probably end up ringing Eircom but just wondering if there's something I can do myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

larrym wrote: »
    Hi,

Have phone & fax machine connected up to the one line.
    Everything worked fine till a day or two ago when suddenly the phones are no longer getting any dial tone but the fax machine still works fine. I can even make/take phone calls off the fax machine but I just can't get the phone(s) to work.
    Both cables are connected into a splitter. If i remove the splitter and just plug in phone directly nothing happens! I've tried changing phone, still nothing happens. But all the time my fax machine is fine.

What the hell has happened? I'll probably end up ringing Eircom but just wondering if there's something I can do myself.
    in the last week i have found my line was becoming inactive(cant make or recieve calls) intermittant and now today it is completly gone. no incoming or outgoing calls, yet my broadband is still working? i also noticed that sometimes since this started when i try to ring my number the call comes through as a missed call a few minutes after i have given up ringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

As a test leave the splitter in place and just swop the leads that are running to the fax and the phone to check if the fault follows the leads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 larrym

Yeah swapped cables to no effect.

The logical conclusion is the phone is damaged, but I've tried another phone and same thing - no dial tone.

If the Fax (/printer/phone/.. all in one thingy) works ok then presumably that means the line is fine, so nothing Eircom can contribute?
    2 Sky boxes work as well, and they use the phone line (for listings or something?)

Maybe I need to get a third phone! just to absolutely absolutely rule out problems with the 2 i have tried.

Advertisement