Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I verify if this house rent is legitimate?

Options
  • 04-09-2009 8:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,

I'm had a house viewing two days ago in Dublin (House share), the house was lovely, well priced and all.

However one thing I could not get over and it raised some alarm bell was that there are currently two people living there, one of which will be moving out. It was mentioned that the landlord (Live in the west) generally stay out of the way as long as the place is kept to good condition and receive his rent on time. Rent is to be lodged to this other person who is still living in the house which then he will lodge it all to the landlord. If anything is broken (pipe leaking etc), a call to the landlord to inform him and I can proceed to getting the relevant service person which I can claim back off the landlord.

What I'm concern about is that I have never met the landlord. There's no mention of any contract to be signed. All rent is to be paid through a middle man (The other person that is still in the house).

I've heard stories that some people who's on the verge of moving out, place ad to get people to view house which they then took the deposit and first month's rent and swiftly disappeared.

So how do I know or what can I do to find out if this is a legitimate place for rent. I could ask for the landlord contact detail, but it could be anyone in reality (i.e. a friend who is posing as landlord). In short I would like to confirm the legitimacy room renting without offending anyone. Can anyone advise what can I do to verify?

Thanks, any advise would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I don't think there's a lot you can do. You are really being brought in here as a licensee, not as a tenant.

The important thing is to know something about the person you are actually dealing with. Is there any way you can make discreet enquiries about him/her? Chances are you must know someone they know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

sounds reasonably legit to me.

why not arrange to get the keys when you hand over the security deposit along with a reciept of payment of said deposit.

That way you will have the piece of mind you are looking for, or just find somewhere else to rent

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Use a crossed cheque or bank transfer to pay the deposit.

Advertisement