Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Btea/Rent allowance

Options
  • 03-09-2009 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi can anyone tell me what the story is with rent allowance while on the back to education allowance. As far as im aware you can get it but you must be renting for 6 months previous. Ive never rented before so would that mean I have to rent for 6 months before I can apply or am I actually eligible for rent allowance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭seany2929

Was wondering myself.Is it only 6 months not 12? I think you have to have been already renting the previous months.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

Does anyone have an idea to the answer of this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do a search for what you are looking for on welfare.ie
    There are a number of diffferent eligiblity rules for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

taken from citizensinformation.ie , click for link

Entitlement to Rent Supplement will be restricted to people who are existing tenant for at least 6 months or who have been placed on a local authority housing list following a full housing assessment (27 July 2009).
    You won’t qualify for Rent Supplement if you:

Are attending full-time education. However, if you are getting a Back to Education Allowance or participating in the Back to Education Programme you may be entitled to the Supplement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i went to my community rent office a few days ago and asked.
    she told me..

i need confirmation of college attendance from the registar's office.
    BTEA confirmation.
    lease agreement etc as usual.

and she told me if im on BTEA, im entitled to claim rent allowance.

• Advertisement

i went to my community rent office a few days ago and asked.
    she told me..

i need confirmation of college attendance from the registar's office.
    BTEA confirmation.
    lease agreement etc as usual.

and she told me if im on BTEA, im entitled to claim rent alloance.

Hi, Have you been renting previously before getting the btea? Thats what im wondering, Do I need to be renting for 6 months prior to applying for rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 MarianneL

Hi I have been recentley made redundant ( end of July ) and have received recentley jobseekers Benefit, when I was made redundant I applied for a place on a degree course ( 2nd year ) which I have been offered the place, been a late applicant I was not very confident of a place, so now my predicament is, I can not receive BTEA as I have not been receiving the job seekers benefit long enough , this course is full time so bascially what they are saying to me is if i accept and go ahead with going full time education ( which I really wish to do ) I can not receive Job seekers benefit ( as to receive this benefit I must make myself available at all times for work , hence as I wish to be a full time student therefore I won't be availabe ) This may write very confusing, as you can imagine I am very confused as I thought the jobs seekers benefit was be paid off your stamps you built upWell to round it up, if I go back to full time education ( which starts tommorrow ) I will not be entitled to antthing and will have to sign off ? or I defer my place for one year build up the time period required to qualify for BETA Can any body give me some advice PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS I am a mature student

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

hi all
    I am a mature student and i am renting apartment with my boyfriend around 2 years now. From last September I am doing PLC course and in september 2010 I want go for a degree. I am on BTEA at the moment.
    Can I apply for a rent allowance OR I have bee placed on a local authority housing list following a full housing assessment first?
    Maybe it is a silly question but I am not sure if where is saying that: Entitlement to Rent Supplement will be restricted to people who are existing tenant for at least 6 months or who have been placed on a local authority housing list following a full housing assessment
    it means BOTH or just one of these two??? (its just few people told me that I can get rent allowance ONLY when I put my name down for a hosing list..) so I am a bit confused now... :rolleyes:
    please heeeeeelp!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fcleere

MarianneL wrote: »
    Hi I have been recentley made redundant ( end of July ) and have received recentley jobseekers Benefit, when I was made redundant I applied for a place on a degree course ( 2nd year ) which I have been offered the place, been a late applicant I was not very confident of a place, so now my predicament is, I can not receive BTEA as I have not been receiving the job seekers benefit long enough , this course is full time so bascially what they are saying to me is if i accept and go ahead with going full time education ( which I really wish to do ) I can not receive Job seekers benefit ( as to receive this benefit I must make myself available at all times for work , hence as I wish to be a full time student therefore I won't be availabe ) This may write very confusing, as you can imagine I am very confused as I thought the jobs seekers benefit was be paid off your stamps you built upWell to round it up, if I go back to full time education ( which starts tommorrow ) I will not be entitled to antthing and will have to sign off ? or I defer my place for one year build up the time period required to qualify for BETA Can any body give me some advice PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PS I am a mature student

"Redundancy

If you are awarded statutory redundancy under Irish legislation, you can have immediate access to the BTEA. To qualify you must:

Take part in the BTEA scheme within one year of getting statutory redundancy
    Be entitled to a qualifying social welfare payment before starting your course - see list above"

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/back-to-education/back_to_education_allowance

• Advertisement
Advertisement