Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lovers leap, Mallow?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 11:12pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Never heard of any, until I heard the John Spillane song. Only place I could think of to match the description is out the Nav, across from the turn for Longville House

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's along the Blackwater river. If you go to the BridgeHouse bar walk down to the river where there's access for vehicles. On the right hand side there is access to a path that takes you along by the river. Follow this path for about 1.5 miles until you come to a kind of stone beach. (When you follow the path you pass one field that has big houses on the right, a second field that has Collegewood estate up to the right, a bit of woodland on the right, another field with the waterworks to the right and the next field is where the beach is).
    Across the river from this stoney beach is Lovers Leap.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

thanks for that, next q, do you know where Carraig Cliona is ?I rem as a child hearing it had a quarry and the machinery used to break down, go on fire etc. and it was blamed on Clíona, queen of the fairies and it didn't stop until a mass was said there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

If you go to castle park and go right to the back corner of the estate there is a massive walk area by the river, turn left in there and head off into the woods and stay by the river, follow the hill upwards and you can go to the the leap itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

Does anyone have any pictures of lovers leap?
    I guess its a nice place to jump? how high and what sort of pool of water is there? Good for swimming?

its about 100 feet and its not suitable for swimming, water flows 2 fast and its 2 shallow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

skidmark
    you could be a contender for the TOM TOM or GARMIN

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

thanks for that, next q, do you know where Carraig Cliona is ?I rem as a child hearing it had a quarry and the machinery used to break down, go on fire etc. and it was blamed on Clíona, queen of the fairies and it didn't stop until a mass was said there.
    Carrigcleena is 7 miles southwest of mallow. I remember the mass being said in the quarry because of things going wrong must be about 30 years ago. The same quarry is a blot in the landscape today.
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O70-Carrigcleena.html

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

its about 100 feet and its not suitable for swimming, water flows 2 fast and its 2 shallow.

Okay thanks.

Is there anywhere people would recommend swimming? Preferably with something to jump off, doesnt matter sea, river or lake. The closer to the city the better.

Might make a thread for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

trythe ten arch bridge,its about 90 feet high,going into 15 feet of water,but be careful to look out for the trains,Something a little safer would be the pier at ross castle in killarney where the water bus docks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Carrigcleena is 7 miles southwest of mallow. I remember the mass being said in the quarry because of things going wrong must be about 30 years ago. The same quarry is a blot in the landscape today.
    http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1O70-Carrigcleena.html
    s/west- would that be towards Mourneabbey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭chessman

between mourneabbey and dromhane

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

s/west- would that be towards Mourneabbey?
    It's on the boundary between Glantane and mourneabbey parishes between the villages of Bweeng and Dromahane. There are two rocks there Carrigcleena beg and Carrigcleena more, the big rock is where the quarry is the small rock is still untouched.

chessman wrote: »
    trythe ten arch bridge,its about 90 feet high,going into 15 feet of water,but be careful to look out for the trains,Something a little safer would be the pier at ross castle in killarney where the water bus docks.

its a tad taller than 90 feet son

Advertisement