Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astral Travel

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭

just trying to find out has it been proven to be true.
    fro example i have been trying to find any account of a test
    to show that the person using astral travel or projection can actually see the real world and is not just have a very realistic dream.
    i realise soem people can have a sleep paralysis and feel like there is a weight pressing on them. years ago i was told this was demons lol

so any info on this before i actually try it would be cool.
    especially on what happens,what you can do,
    and more so on any evidence which might show even the least bit that this phenomenon is actually real.

ps i read an online book in which the guy spoke about seeing a translucent shadow at the end of his bed after his first few experiences.
    this is a little worrying especially after no mention of it after that even 2 or 3 chapters later!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Hi Torakx

Seen your post on CT so thought I would come on over and reply here :)

I have partaken in this pratice of OBE in the past, it took an awful long time and a lot of practice. I cannot provide proof now, really I don't know how you could other than maybe under test conditions, writing notes on bits of paper and leaving them in area's which would normally be inaccessible then getting the person experiencing the OBE to memorise the contents while in that state and reciting them when back in their normal state ?

Anyway, my first experiences of this where to do with sleep paralysis, albeit when I was fully awake, not asleep and around the age of maybe 18/19. When I was learning myself how to programme in ASM language and erm, defeating encryption methods - I would stay awake for days/nights on end. One night I sat down on the sofa just to give myself a break and my body somehow went to sleep but my eye's and mind were still fully awake.
    I would get this humming or just strong/weird feeling around the back of my ears and sometimes within my ears also (if that makes sense at all).
    It also is freightening in that you cannot move or do anything other than look around and you get this terrible feeling that someone is watching over you and you are not able to do anything about it.

From that I started to read up on it a lot, both on the web back then (which was terrible, none of the info available then that you can find now) and through old books in libraries.

I started to practice lucid dreaming, it's a state where you are dreaming but you also understand and realise you are dreaming and so you aim to control the content within the dream without waking up. It's hard to explain but the best feeling you get from it is the feeling of flying if you can manage it :)

From there I practiced a form of meditation where you would try and relax every single muscle in your body, control your breathing and put yourself in an advanced state of relaxation where your body was completely numb and devoid of any feeling but your mind was still fully aware. You also had to make sure you didn't fall asleep during this as it defeated the purpose.

It took an awful lot of practice and it took a long time to stop getting yourself excited when you started the early phases of making your body numb and feeling the different state of mind (only way to explain this bit sorry). If you got excited (excited meaning to me anyway that I was thinking to myself, omfg this is actually working) you'd break out of the "state of mind" and you'd move a muscle in some way. This is very hard to explain :p

My first actual experience of my soul/spirit/whatever leaving my body was during one of these practice sessions, all I can describe it as was my soul lifting itself out of my body ? Like I just began to sit up out of my body. I remember looking at my left arm and noticing it was green in colour with patchy red or black parts on it. I know this just sounds weird but bare with me....

Your soul from what I could see or hope to explain looks kind of see through and seemed to be devoid of any muscular form, like my arm was long and straight, nowhere near looking like humonoid at all.
    I remember thinking well, if this is it I want to see how far I can get away from my body (apparently from my reading it takes long long practice before you can actually travel very far away from your body) so I remember floating, not flying, just kind of floating up toward the ceiling and into the attic. Now everything was dark but one big thing I noticed was that my hearing seemed to be very acute and even the sleightest noises I could hear. I remember travelling a bit toward the back of the attic and a little outside my window and that was it, I snapped out of it and jumped up off the bed.
    My whole body seemed to be pulsing like some drug or whatever was racing through my blood, not like adrenallin, my whole body was buzzing but it was kind of like a stronger feeling you get from your body when you break out of a sleep paralysis sometimes.

I still practice lucid dreaming when I notice the state and can be arsed :) sleep paralysis sometimes happens me still also, while I am actually asleep though, like my mind wakes up but I can't move and I feel as if someone or some thing is watching or standing over or behind me.

Now, I'm not religious in any way whatsoever, I really am not but would regard this as a kind of spiritualism. Scientifically, it could just well be a state of mind or an ability of your brain to carry out these states of mind, somewhat like a drug induced halucination maybe and it becomes so real to you that you actually believe it ? I really don't know but it is both amazing and freightening at the same time.

I don't or just can't seem to find the time these days to put any more practice in to it at all but I wouldn't mind giving it a go again sometime.

I've read that Yuri Gellar was supposed to be able to do this in an advanced state as was Padre Pio, in one case I read of him (Padre Pio) appearing in clouds in front of a nazi bomber squadron and asking them to turn back and not to bomb their town of Giovanni or something.

Hope that helps some and just to state, I would be more inclined to believe or take a scientific explanation for this rather than anything supernatural or otherwise. It is however, when you do experience it, quiet amazing but also scary.

Oh, one thing I remember if it's of any help, when I was putting myself into this state it helped if I had nothing at all over my feet for some reason, as in if you have a blanket duvet over you, stick your feat out the end. I dunno why but that always helped me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

wow thank you for that post.
    very informative.
    i practised some relaxing the last night or two and found it is quite hard lol
    between saliva building up and making me swallow which distrubs my concentration to as you say uncomfortable feet under the duvet to icthiness just as im relaxing! to a constant whistling noise in my head 24/7(i have bad tinnitus) but i can nearly instantly create a head rush if thats any help lol.

i would like to think it is real and not just a very detailed realistic dream.this is my main focus before i get serious about it.the other main one is that i have not ruled out the possibility of meeting malevolent "entities" which may not go away afterwards.

btw if you happen to be doing it again. maybe you can ask a friend or family member to write a totally random 5 digit number on a piece of paper and place it face up somewhere like in a container? that you cant see from outside it.then maybe when you do have one of these experiences again you can check the paper while OBE and you will know for yourself when you come out of it wether it is truly real of not.

i think right now what stops me from seriously trying it is the thoughts of somethign malevolent meeting with me and not wanting to go away after!
    so i need to investigate the negatives first i think.

ok this is pretty scary if its true!
    this woman is supposedly a veteran of astral travel.

http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2006/12/the-dangers-of-astral-projection/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Torakx wrote: »
    ok this is pretty scary if its true!
    this woman is supposedly a veteran of astral travel.

http://www.erinpavlina.com/blog/2006/12/the-dangers-of-astral-projection/

All of that screams pseudo-science and half-baked beliefs.

It starts out all sort of, nobody can be sure but I believe... then moves to cold hard fact by the end of the first point.
    Now, if someone kills your physical body while you’re astral, you’ll just move on like you normally would if you were inside your body when it died.
    It wouldn't be so bad, only I find it hard to fathom how she aquired these facts.

If Astral Projection were possible, it would have been proven by now and we'd all be doing it.

yep i have also thought that it is possible people are using it for other motives.
    BUT i myself am not convinced either way about the existence of demons or other entities in another time or space.
    so i ofc take her posts with a pinch of salt.
    but reading an online book possibly from a guy linked to her i dont know.he speaks about meeting a presence in the astral plane and upon pulling himself out saw the same shadow in his room.

now comparing this to "stories" i have heard regarding ghosts and spirits. i have to admit it is believable to me that there could be a such thing as real astral travel and real life forms living inside it.that may cause longterm effects in my life should i invite them in.

i guess il continue to look for more evidence either way.and try and get a general overall look at the consequences to peoples lives after repeating astral travel over some years or months.

so far im getting the feeling if it is real then when you pop into the astral plane you have a chance to meet another lifeform there which could be good or bad,just pure luck in relation to your location maybe.
    but it seems to me it is also likely from repeated use of astral travel from the same locations can produce the situation where these energy leeching forms will gather at the most likely place to find this energy. ie your bedroom.

thats if its isnt all just stories hehe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Smallcats

It is very real and I dont know why its not well knowing. I was not very religious when it happened to me. I was in collage and had been partying hard for a few days. Was just sitting on the floor of my sitting room with a friend (cause we broke the couch lol) and it happened.

Was very scary expriencne. It was like, I was trying to sleep but my mind wouldn't. Just like all life left my body but the next thing I noticed I was floating up away from my body and hit the celling and stopped my thoughts were really clear and when I looked at my body I freaked out said to myself "You partied too hard this time" and all of a suddened I was slammed back into my body. I was really scared and was too freightened to go back to sleep so I tried to stay awake but every time I was noddin off I would get the same feeling and would force my body to wake up.

I didn't think much of it at the time but a few years later I saw a doc on the internet that blew my mind. It was describe the very same way that I experience it. It seems to be easier to do when your body is more tired than your mind. Getting your mind from your body can be scary and may take some time to master in itself, due to the vibrataions your body feels(this can varie from swinging motions as well) and not been able to move and on some occasions heard voices in my head really clearly which scared the Bjesus out of me all together. But if your intrested in it look into it. When you finnally are able to come out of your body, the key to it is not to give into astonishment which is very hard.

I practice meditation all the time and so should everyone else. As for astral projection its only a small part of a bigger picture.

PS. Please discard that information that is in that link. Theres no such thing as demons. Its only your own perception that sums up entites. Another thing that I will add to clear your mind on supposly leeching lifeforms is past pets the person has had. I dont know how through that is but if there is a such thing its probably that.

thanks for the info.
    do you have any links or info on vids i can get a hold of online?
    like tube vids and such.
    im still not convinced on the demons or souls idea.
    i would have to have a good answer for the present ghosts people always talk about.

my problem is i dont quite believe theres demons in there or bad lifeforms but im not willing to chance it just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Smallcats

Hi wil do.
    Robert Bruce is a experienced astral traveller. Heres a doc of him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjos2-Acbw4

Hope this helps.

Another thing you should look at as well is past life regression. Seen this doc
    a while ago and didnt know what to think of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanURyWHKyA

Hope that sheds a bit of light for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭jonbravo

Torakx wrote: »
    thanks for the info.
    do you have any links or info on vids i can get a hold of online?
    like tube vids and such.
    im still not convinced on the demons or souls idea.
    i would have to have a good answer for the present ghosts people always talk about.

my problem is i dont quite believe theres demons in there or bad lifeforms but im not willing to chance it just yet.
    as far as i know from looking into the subject of astral travel,i dont believe their are demons or bad lifeforms or believe astral travel to be un-safe in anyway.....
    sometimes i hear people talk about alien abduction being in some way,related to astral travel!?.... but this cann't be right.

Advertisement