Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of noob questions.

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Hello all ,
    Recently got a g-shock collectors edition watch and I'm hooked on this watch/timekeeping business:)

First question is ,how can I tell if a watch keeps the days date ,i.e end of month 31 days ,next month 29.
    Number two ,bear with me:o. My job means that no matter how hard I try ,I'm never sure that I won't get my watch in harms way. Is there any nice watches out there ,that won't scratch easy and look nice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Thanks bedlam ,I didn't know where to even start ,theres so many to choose from:o

thanks again ,I have a bit of browsing and searching to do.
    Price wise I suppose it would be around 300-400 ,to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

i was always a fan of the Tissot T-Touch you can get a very light weight titanium version and its got sapphire crystal. But there dear. The watch i got was this citizen

http://tiny.cc/9HaqG

Its a lovely time piece that has a perpetual calender and sapphire crystal glass also its got eco drive so its powered by light ie: no need for a battery change which can cost a good bit depending on the watch, it usually starts at about 60 for a battery and reseal but brands like Tag and Raymond Weil cost allot more. For the price you looking at spending id recommend citizen and seiko as far as Japanese watch makers go they are at the top of the tower. Id say 90% of citizens come with eco drive which is always nice, and seiko have some lovely watches that are kinetic powered, again this prolongs battery life. You could pick up a nice swiss watch for the around the same price but i think Tissot would be then only swiss brand to fit in that price range. I worked in Fields for a year so i done nothing but read up on watches and stuff :P

Thanks steve ,I was looking at the T-touch yesterday and decided to stick to something simple.

Can't find ceramic watches but I found a seiko that looks ok ,not sure about the perpetual calendar though
    http://www.seiko.ie/products/seiko/c/arctura/m/srn011p1_srn011p1

I was looking at the stowa watches alright ,followed links in previous posts ,someone was looking for a watch for a relation.

Was worried that I was a little over zealous ,just after I posted this thread. But I'm really glad now and thanks again for the help:)

• Advertisement

would a mechanical watch not be more maintenance? The kinetic watch looks nice, the arctura range are quite large watches. Seiko usually do promotions throughout the year allowing you to trade in any watch now matter how old or damaged and get a nice amount of the higher priced watches. I think kinetic watches still have a battery in them but they are mostly used as a back up if the kinetic power is low. Not too sure though

Being a youngsters myself i feel im not yet ready for a mechanical watch. Quartz are nice and handy but i respect the work that goes into mechanical and automatic watches and i think down the line ill start to invest in these types of watches. Iv got my eyes on a tag link at the moment, its nice and simple. Its got a matte bezel with a lovely bracelet and its quartz. Either that or a tag calibre S. I love that watch!!

After looking over the stowa site ,the mechanics of the watches would be enough to keep me happy ,without needing perpetual date keeping.

Reading some of the posts about watches in the forum ,it's given me the impression that a good watch is almost part of the family.:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea pretty much:D I have a couple of quartz jobs and they're grand, but that tick tick just feels different. I dunno why, but there's more of a connection with it. I'm a bit weird though, I don't like automatic self winding movements I prefer to wind it manually every day. Again for that connection thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The only watch I can remember having was a swatch one ,it had a pendulum type movement that wound the watch automatically. Thats going back about thirteen years now though.

For some reason the stowa watches look like they have the same movement ,am I right in thinking this ?

• Advertisement

are they automatics? usually automatics have a weight that moves dependent to the wearers wrist. So as your arm swings back and forth so does the weight, thus powering the watch.

steve_ wrote: »
    are they automatics? usually automatics have a weight that moves dependent to the wearers wrist. So as your arm swings back and forth so does the weight, thus powering the watch.

The stowa's look like they have the weight (pendulum),but I wasn't sure if it was just half the back cut away ,to show off the mechanics.
    some of the stowa watches do say automatic ,but all of them seem to have the pendulum type weight on the back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The stowas appear to be mostly autos from my look at their website.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

yeah if its that half "pendulum" then id say its an automatic. The weight is in half so it can get decent momentum while moving. Its pretty special watching it all in action. One thing though with automatics is that they need to be worn quite often. If you like to swap the watches you wear often then this could be harmful for your automatic. The constant stopping and starting of the moving parts can cause the oils inside to dry and this is very damaging to your watch not to mention it will cost allot to fix. Or you could buy and automatic watch box to keep your watch moving while your not wearing it.

I'll probably go for a stowa watch ,but I'm going to wait until christmas and make a big deal about it.
    It's become a bigger decision ,now that I know more about things ,thanks.:)

Advertisement