Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year or 6 year course in medicine:which is better?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey everyone!
    Just wondering, would the 5 year course or the 6 year course be better to study for medicine? Ive read from a few people that they are doing the six year course anyway, even though they have chemistry plus another science subject. Would it be better to start in the 6 year course, or would the 5 yr course be fine? Some people decide to do the 6 yr course because they want a break from the past LC year i.e. premed, or they want a basic ground on all the science subjects. But say like in UCC, they only offer the 5 yr course, Im sure this course would take into account that these students have not done premed, and have only the basic knowledge of LC chemistry and biology or physics.
    Just wondering what people think is the best option and what any med students are doing? Still trying to wegh up my options....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'm in UCC, doing 5 years obviously!

I don't see the need for premed. We're all doing fine.

The fact that it's not a prerequisite anywhere shows it can be done without.

That said, it might be nice to get to know class. But again, most people would not exactly reject someone on the basis that they knew others a year longer!

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

I'm in UCC, doing 5 years obviously!

I don't see the need for premed. We're all doing fine.

The fact that it's not a prerequisite anywhere shows it can be done without.

That said, it might be nice to get to know class. But again, most people would not exactly reject someone on the basis that they knew others a year longer!

Best of luck.

Thanks! So you didnt struggle too much with 1st year med in UCC? I got 580 in the LC but not as well in the HPAT, but only had biology so at the mo can only apply to the 6 yr course, and as I said am considering repeating just to get chemistry and the 5 yr course in UCC. Resitting the HPAT again aswell obviously. Any advice seeing as you are in the 5 yr course in UCC?

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Thanks! So you didnt struggle too much with 1st year med in UCC? I got 580 in the LC but not as well in the HPAT, but only had biology so at the mo can only apply to the 6 yr course, and as I said am considering repeating just to get chemistry and the 5 yr course in UCC. Resitting the HPAT again aswell obviously. Any advice seeing as you are in the 5 yr course in UCC?

I had no trouble at all! Make sure you know your physiology. It seems so easy, but you do need to understand it pretty well.

UCC is wonderful. The lecturers are so helpful, and the doctors are very nice.

What was HPAT like, actually? Is is preparable for?

I had no trouble at all! Make sure you know your physiology. It seems so easy, but you do need to understand it pretty well.

UCC is wonderful. The lecturers are so helpful, and the doctors are very nice.

What was HPAT like, actually? Is is preparable for?

Thanks! I REALLY want UCC because Im from Kerry and personally Dublin and Galway is very far away for me, but at the end of the day Id take any med course coming my way! And is the chemistry involved in the med course completely different to what is involved in the LC? Obviously the chemistry is related to the human body, and I would be taking on chemistry in a year so I cant forget that....
    So, honest opinion, is it worth repeating everything in order to get the 5 yr course in chemistry? Thats the decision I have to make at the moment. Im going to be taking the year out anyway so as I didnt get med this year....
    Of course I will be mainly focusing on the HPAT. Im not too sure on whether people will improve or go down a lot in it, we'll have to answer that in February. Personally, I know I will improve, I completely screwed up section 3 ( which was meant to be my strongest section) and this year it wont be the day after the mocks!:D I bearly did any preparation for it last year anyway...but I did get like 180 in the HPAT practise booklet provided by ACER, although that was actually a lot easier than the actual exam.
    Thanks minkman for your comment also! Your opinions and advice will be appreciated aswell!;)

So, honest opinion, is it worth repeating everything in order to get the 5 yr course in chemistry? Thats the decision I have to make at the moment. Im going to be taking the year out anyway so as I didnt get med this year....

I'd say do it! The 5 years is perfectly great, and you don't have much to lose repeating one subject.

Chem is very doable, LC and med! You'll be fine. I mean, you already have 580! You're well able. It's such a shame you didn't get it this year. You've proven that you can apply yourself, and you're clever enough. I may be wrong, but I can't see what the HPAT proves.

Hope to see you in UCC in 2010!

• Advertisement

And PM me if you ever need help (with anything other than HPAT, of course).

:)

I'd say do it! The 5 years is perfectly great, and you don't have much to lose repeating one subject.

Chem is very doable, LC and med! You'll be fine. I mean, you already have 580! You're well able. It's such a shame you didn't get it this year. You've proven that you can apply yourself, and you're clever enough. I may be wrong, but I can't see what the HPAT proves.

Hope to see you in UCC in 2010!

Thanks for the help! Just to make sure and Im sure you are aware, but I have to repeat ALL the LC again in order to get the 5 yr course as all the requirements have to be in the same sitting, so I have to repeat english, irish, maths and my options plus taking up chemistry.:eek:
    You said "you don't have much to lose repeating one subject". If you didnt know, do you still have the same opinion about aiming for the 5 yr course?:p
    Thanks, I might take you up sometime on your PM offer!:)

Thanks for the help! Just to make sure and Im sure you are aware, but I have to repeat ALL the LC again in order to get the 5 yr course as all the requirements have to be in the same sitting, so I have to repeat english, irish, maths and my options plus taking up chemistry.:eek:
    You said "you don't have much to lose repeating one subject". If you didnt know, do you still have the same opinion about aiming for the 5 yr course?:p
    Thanks, I might take you up sometime on your PM offer!:)

Yes, I know, but my logic is that second time is less effort, except maybe for English, so only one other is really going to require hard, hard work. It leaves more time for HPAT prep.

Also, knowing you are capable of 580 helps. When you get that again (and maybe more), 556, HPAT should need to be under 160 (provided it doesn't change much. Prep tests show you can do 180. (I know they were easier, but all the same...)

Repeat away! Maybe try to get out of doing the mocks. Focus on HPAT. And PM me whenever, even if it's just for motivation!

Yes, I know, but my logic is that second time is less effort, except maybe for English, so only one other is really going to require hard, hard work. It leaves more time for HPAT prep.

Also, knowing you are capable of 580 helps. When you get that again (and maybe more), 556, HPAT should need to be under 160 (provided it doesn't change much. Prep tests show you can do 180. (I know they were easier, but all the same...)

Repeat away! Maybe try to get out of doing the mocks. Focus on HPAT. And PM me whenever, even if it's just for motivation!

Ha I knew you knew anyway but just to make it clear! Well the plan is do HL maths, applied maths, biology, accounting, business and spanish for points. Hl chemistry for the requirement( would never get an A in this in a year) and Im dropping to pass in english and irish, my 2 least favourite subjects, so I wont be going through that long enlish course again! Got an A2 in HL irish, so Ill have to reconsider this subject, but I hatd this so much I felt I couldnt go through with it again. At least Ill be doing HL subjects that I actually love!:D It will take a lot of motivation though....
    Thanks....once again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Hey Xtina.

I started the 6 year course in UCD. Had my orientation this week and all of our orientation guides (and even some higher up people!) basically told us the year's a doss.
    People seem to enjoy the whole year out thing like.

Anyway, I got offered the 5 year course in Trinity on 3rd rounds and have to say, wasn't too difficult a decision to make accepting it instead.

As far as I can see, PreMed's all well and good, but the course is long enough already without doing a foundation year which is clearly not that neccessary.

• Advertisement

bythewoods wrote: »
    Hey Xtina.

I started the 6 year course in UCD. Had my orientation this week and all of our orientation guides (and even some higher up people!) basically told us the year's a doss.
    People seem to enjoy the whole year out thing like.

Anyway, I got offered the 5 year course in Trinity on 3rd rounds and have to say, wasn't too difficult a decision to make accepting it instead.

As far as I can see, PreMed's all well and good, but the course is long enough already without doing a foundation year which is clearly not that neccessary.

Thanks! Sorry for the delayed reply! So it doesnt seem to be really necessary if you already have biology and chemistry done for the LC.
    Congratulations on getting medicine, especially on getting trinity in the third round offer!:) Just one question though, I thought you can only be offered the 5 yr course if you already have 2 science subjects or meet those requirements? If you meet those requirements, then you cant apply to the 6 yr course. You were offered the 6 yr course in UCD, but was then offered vthe 5 yr course in Trinity. Just a bit confused about this.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Where's the point in spending an extra year? It's a long enough haul, either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

Just one question though, I thought you can only be offered the 5 yr course if you already have 2 science subjects or meet those requirements? If you meet those requirements, then you cant apply to the 6 yr course. You were offered the 6 yr course in UCD, but was then offered vthe 5 yr course in Trinity. Just a bit confused about this.:confused:
    As far as I'm aware (which isn't very far ;)) you can accept a five year course and then drop down to pre-med, even if you have the five year course requirements, thus entering into the six year course. That's what I've been told by people I've spoken to anyway.

Congrats on getting 580 first time round, that's a great result, and well done for deciding to repeat, I don't know if I could manage that! Just be sure that you don't slack second time round and take for granted that you could get those points again. Not saying that you can't, but just be sure not to take for granted that it'll just happen.

I've accepted a five-year medicine course this year, I've spoken to a few people because I was a bit worried that I'd be at a disadvantage not doing pre-med and they assured me it's OK, it's not needed, most people just do it to have an 'easy' year, so no fear there.

cGirl wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware (which isn't very far ;)) you can accept a five year course and then drop down to pre-med, even if you have the five year course requirements, thus entering into the six year course. That's what I've been told by people I've spoken to anyway.

Congrats on getting 580 first time round, that's a great result, and well done for deciding to repeat, I don't know if I could manage that! Just be sure that you don't slack second time round and take for granted that you could get those points again. Not saying that you can't, but just be sure not to take for granted that it'll just happen.

I've accepted a five-year medicine course this year, I've spoken to a few people because I was a bit worried that I'd be at a disadvantage not doing pre-med and they assured me it's OK, it's not needed, most people just do it to have an 'easy' year, so no fear there.

Thanks for your words of support!
    I know you can drop down from the 5 yr course to the 6 yr course, Ive heard that some people (but very few) drop down because they found 1st year very difficult to cope with, but I thought that you will automatically be offered the 5 yr course even though you meet the requirements for both? Yeah I was worrying about premed aswell and whether it would be of great advantage, but apparently now from what people are saying, including yourself;) its not necessary. I dont particularly want to take a year out, then doing premed, and then finally starting 1st year med. The more I think about it, seeing as Im taking the year out anyway I might aswell repeat and aim for the 5 yr course. The problem now for me is the motivation to keep working.

I asked my careers guidance teacher, and he said that if I do worse in 2010 in points, say 550 which I know will be the minimum Ill get, then I can still use them as they include my requirement for HL chemistry.

I know this is a huge gamble repeating and hoping for the best to get the 5 yr course, but sure, by the end of it, I wont have lost anything.:o

Congrats on getting med! What university are you going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Thanks! Sorry for the delayed reply! So it doesnt seem to be really necessary if you already have biology and chemistry done for the LC.
    Congratulations on getting medicine, especially on getting trinity in the third round offer!:) Just one question though, I thought you can only be offered the 5 yr course if you already have 2 science subjects or meet those requirements? If you meet those requirements, then you cant apply to the 6 yr course. You were offered the 6 yr course in UCD, but was then offered vthe 5 yr course in Trinity. Just a bit confused about this.:confused:

No, that's not the case. In UCD anyway.
    I did Chemistry and Biology (And HL Maths) and was automatically given the 6 year course.
    I was talking to people who got 600 points and really good HPAT scores doing premed.

They only give the 5 year course to the top 20% of candidates, and supposedly you're meant to have gotten A1s in all of Biology, Chemistry & Physics too.
    I was never aware of that. And I never did Physics.

I asked if I could switch, but couldn't. Trinity beckoned.

bythewoods wrote: »
    No, that's not the case. In UCD anyway.
    I did Chemistry and Biology (And HL Maths) and was automatically given the 6 year course.
    I was talking to people who got 600 points and really good HPAT scores doing premed.

They only give the 5 year course to the top 20% of candidates, and supposedly you're meant to have gotten A1s in all of Biology, Chemistry & Physics too.
    I was never aware of that. And I never did Physics.

I asked if I could switch, but couldn't. Trinity beckoned.

Mmmmm.....I never knew about this, but Im presuming that this is different in UCC as they only offer the 5 yr course? Maybe galway and dublin are different as they offer both 5 yr and 6 yr courses. I do HL biology and maths, and get A1s in them, I dont have physics, and I have no hope in hell in getting an A1 in chemistry after doing it in 1 yr. This is a very confusing system.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

Mmmmm.....I never knew about this, but Im presuming that this is different in UCC as they only offer the 5 yr course? Maybe galway and dublin are different as they offer both 5 yr and 6 yr courses. I do HL biology and maths, and get A1s in them, I dont have physics, and I have no hope in hell in getting an A1 in chemistry after doing it in 1 yr. This is a very confusing system.....

I was offered to take the 5-year course in Galway.In NUIG you just have to have an honour in two of the science subjects to qualify for it....I think...

Blur wrote: »
    I was offered to take the 5-year course in Galway.In NUIG you just have to have an honour in two of the science subjects to qualify for it....I think...

So Im guessing that you didnt get the straight As in the science subjects? (obviously you could have!:D) but you got the honour as requested as part of the entry requirements? I suppose once they have filled up all the 5 yr slots then these remaining students will be automatically offered 6 yr places. Obviously this could change for the second and third round offers, as in bythewoods case.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Med entry requirements

Presumably the requirements are minimum, rather than giving a guarantee of a place on the 5 year though.

Advertisement