Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reliable MPG diesel?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all, heading back to college soon and will be doing about 300+ miles a week driving(mature student),was thinking bout a peugeot 2.0hdi or passat obviously cheap so old they will be,anyone with experience of mpg and reliability of these cars or others!thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ive got a c5 with the Hdi engine, it has 150,000mls now and going strong, cant see you having engine issues with the pug. But....the suspension and the electrics can be troublesome with the pugs/citroens. Cant really comment on the Passat reliability.

From chatting to my mates that have passat tdi's they seem to get better mpg than me (providing we are all telling the truth that is;)) I get 45-50mpg, they seem to get 50-55. All of us would be doing long country commutes rather than town driving.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭GTE

gachladd wrote: »
    Hi all, heading back to college soon and will be doing about 300+ miles a week driving(mature student),was thinking bout a peugeot 2.0hdi or passat obviously cheap so old they will be,anyone with experience of mpg and reliability of these cars or others!thanks

The Passat is meant to get you between 45 and 50 MPG but people I have talked to can get 50+ and my Golf TDI is meant to do 50 to 60 (the AA roadtesters got 66 in one of their tests)
    Mine has been doing 57 MPG since I got it a couple of months ago and I dont always drive with economy in mind.
    Mine is a 2000 Golf which I got for 2900 euro with 150,000 miles. I have read of Golfs doing 200,000 plus so they will last you (I hope they do anyway).

If you find a good example of an early Mark 4 it should be cheap and last you an age.

You'll get a decent 406 HDi with over 12 months NCT and less than 120K mile for €2500, that will be a couple of years newer than the Passat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Ford Galaxy 1.9tdi up to 00. Bulletproof engine. Goes on half a sniff. Got from North County Dublin to Rosslare and from Le Harve to Lyon way down in France on a full tank and that was with full roofbox and full boot with a family.
    It's effectively the same engine that Audi has run for many years. Should go for ever

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

bcmf wrote: »
    Ford Galaxy 1.9tdi up to 00. Bulletproof engine. Goes on half a sniff. Got from North County Dublin to Rosslare and from Le Harve to Lyon way down in France on a full tank and that was with full roofbox and full boot with a family.
    It's effectively the same engine that Audi has run for many years. Should go for ever

Sounds like the OP isn't looking for a big MPV though, would defeat the purpose of looking for something economical if only the driver is in it.

OP I'd also go with the Peugeot 406 HDi recommendation, not sure what your budget is but the 406 would be a better drive and have a more modern engine than a similar year Passat. The 406 is also a very comfortable car to be in which is important when doing 300+ miles a week. Try and get as new as you can, go for the 2.0 HDI if possible and something with at least 12 months NCT on it.

For example:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200910192075631

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Bingo.....Cheap to buy and cheap to run ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/982122
    View?id=1675103

HDi engine with super comfy ride. So what if the interior falls to bits its taxed and tested for ages. And with 116k its only run in :D

Advertisement