Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

somewhere to leave a bike in the city centre

Options
  • 03-09-2009 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I live in an apartment. I have a bicycle. I would rather not keep the bike in the apartment. I've looked around public carparks in the city and I cannot find any that have bike racks, or any bikes left in them.
    Are there any good places to leave a bike in the city centre? Somewhere sheltered where it's unlikely to be robbed/vandalised if left overnight..?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Depends where your apartment is.
    I've had 8 bikes stolen over the past ten yeras. Two were locked inside the communal area of an apartment.

The Gardai are too busy with traffic related crime to follow up on bike theft or even try and prevent it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Unless there is a very good reason you can't keep the bike in the apartment, I would leave it there. I doubt there is anywhere safe in public view that you could leave it overnight. Or if you leave it in public view, have at least two locks on it. Or take the front wheel off and lock that somewhere else. Anything to put the gougers off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

My apartment is in the area around Henry St Garda station..wouldn't mind leaving it anywhere near Henry St (either end)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

There will be no safer place than inside your apartment for your bike.

There is not one street in the city where I would say it is safe to leave a bike overnight on a regular basis.

If it did not get robbed, I would expect it to be vandalised. Having it locked near the Henry Street Garda station is no great protection. I was almost hit head on by a car there last week, and despite phoning them as the driver stayed blocking me as he tried to make his way up Henry street against the flow of traffic on a one way street, not one Garda stuck their head outside the door. It happened literally outside the station but I guess because it was raining they were prepared to overlook a car going the wrong way. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

pwd wrote: »
    I live in an apartment. I have a bicycle. I would rather not keep the bike in the apartment. I've looked around public carparks in the city and I cannot find any that have bike racks, or any bikes left in them.
    Are there any good places to leave a bike in the city centre? Somewhere sheltered where it's unlikely to be robbed/vandalised if left overnight..?

if u want to keep the bike longer then a week, get those little hooks and hang it from ceiling in your apartment. or maybe do u have a balcony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Unless you can get it locked in a nearby gym or shop that close late and open early, I would leave it in the apartment.

Advertisement