Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing query; heating but no hot water.

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

Background; I have a Ideal s24 mini boiler, sealed system, non combi, 3 story townhouse, hot water tank on ground floor and boiler on 1st floor.

I recently had 2 rads moved when getting work done on my house. I also just had the boiler serviced for the first time (been here nearly 3 years, new build). Now the problem; putting the heating on now, I have hot rads but no hot water. Bord gais engineer (did the service 2 days ago) says he thinks a blockage in the hot water system. Plumber involved in building work says nothing he did could have caused this problem. They moved 2 rads to nearby walls, and put the boiler pressure up to 2 bars from 1.5, saying this is more suitable for 3 story house (this makes sense as rads on top floor now properly hot, they never were before). Heating system had not been used since the spring, if that makes any difference.

Also boiler is now slowly dripping water onto my new solid oak worktop since service done.

Questions:
    Any idea of the likely problem causing the lack of hot water?
    Any idea of the likely cause? Is problem likely caused by the work done, the service, the lack of use in a while, or none of the above?
    Is a DIY fix possible or advisable?
    Who should I get to look at the problem (plumber from builders, BG man, AN Other?)
    Does it sound costly to repair? What ball park figure am I looking at?
    Anything I haven't thought of?

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, we are having so many problems with the house I'm a little overwhelmed! (and completely broke!).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Yeah the strangest thing i have ever heard! I have heard of hot water and no heating! There is a rule in plumbing last man to touch owns the problem! I would not accept the persons reply that moved the rads, personally! But what to do! I dont know its up to you

If you get another plumber will charge you for the investigation. This is NOT a DIY job. tell the plumber you need him to sort it. Tell him you will be looking for a new counter if he does not!

You should have really got this sorted before the service as he can mention that the lad that done the service caused the problems.

Dont mention the service.!;)

Best of luck/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Have you the option to turn on the hot water independent of the radiators? If so maybe you've a stuck zone valve.

Call back whoever is responsible for the leak from the boiler. If the leak continues then you will loose system pressure.

Advertisement