Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basque country

Options
  • 03-09-2009 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi, me and some friends are taking a trip to the basque country for a week. Bilbao, Pamplona, San Sebastion and Biarratz are the places we intend to visit. Can anyone tell me if any of these places are not worth going to or any usefull info on any of these please? We are thinking Pamplona might not be worth going to when the bull run is not on but not sure! Is Bilboa worth more than two nights stay? Sep 17-25 are the dates. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 truckey

Hi,
    I stayed in both pamplona and san sebastian but i was in both during the bull run... and have nothing but positive things to say about my stay in these places. Infact wish to go to san sebastian again hopefully such a nice city, we stayed in a hotel right on the main beach. Its a place where locals dont like speaking english but if you make an effort to speak a little spainish then you will be fine. Pamplona was the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pauly086

Thanks for the reply truckey! Yea iv seen on alot of reviews they dont like to speak much english alright. I'm sure when you were in Pamplona it was pretty much all about the bull run but was there any interesting things to see apart from that? San Sebastian seems to get the thumbs up from everyone alright. Anyway thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Two days in Bilbao should be enough, the main thing to see is the Guggenheim and that will take about half a day. I'd spend more time in San Sebastian, it's a much nicer city with a lovely beach and an atmospheric old town. The food and drink is fab there.

Haven't been to either of the others so I can't comment on them but I would imagine trying to fit all four in, in one week would be tough.

Two days in Bilbao is plenty.
    San Sebastian isn't far from there, we stopped in Gernika and Bermeo on the way, definitely worth the visit. On to Biarritz after four days in San Sebastian.

Headed south a bit into Rioja and stayed in a gorgeous little town called Haro, visited a bodega and drank lots of wine!
    Didn't bother with Pamplona, but we doubled back and spent a day on the beach in Santander, probably not a runner for you if you only have a week.

The San Sebastian film festival is on in September as far as I know, if it clashes with your dates you'll be hit with higher accommodation charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Been to all of those places bar Pamplona. All lovely places, but if you're not too into the history, Guernica is probably not worth it.

San Sebastian is lovely, I'd dedicate the most time to there.

• Advertisement

Thanks alot everyone for the replys they really have been a great help. We have decided to cut Pamplona out of our plans as it may be a little quiet and a wee bit out of the way. We will spend a day and a half in Balbao which seems to be enough going by what ye all have said. Four nights in San Sebastian as that was always going to be our main destination for the week. We left a day and night free in between San Sebastian and Biarritz so maybe we can visit one of the towns you have recommended. And then we have two nights in Biarritz.
    Cheers again folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭leon76

If you do venture to Bermeo be sure to visit San Juan de Gaztelugatxe. Its approx 8 mile from Bermeo on the road to Bakio.
    I've been to this place a number of times and its awe inspiring. Bermeo is a beautifull place. The people,food and drink are brillant. The place gets very few tourists so make sure to let people know you from Ireland. Some words in Basque can really impress the locals.

Bai = Yes
    Ez = No
    Kaixo! = Hello
    Agur! / Aio! = Goodbye!
    Ikusi arte = See you!
    Eskerrik asko! = Thank you!
    Egun on = Good morning (literally: Good day)
    Egun on, bai = Standard reply to Egun on
    Arratsalde on = Good evening
    Gabon = Good night
    Mesedez = Please
    Barkatu = Excuse (me) (when asking for something)
    Barkatu = I'm sorry.
    If you want info regarding a place to stay in this area let me know...............

Nice one Leon76....taking all that on board. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

your itinerary looks pretty good. I've been to Pamplona in and out of san fermin and it's a nice place with a great buzz in the old town but not really going out of your way to see either. lots of lovely coastal villages to visit from san sebastian, getaria etc. i went to guernica just because but really apart from the tree/parliament there's nothing much there. san sebastian is justifiably famous for its pintxos but i was pleasantly surprised by the array in bilbao (day and half there is enough btw)

• Advertisement
Advertisement