Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I withdraw my acceptance for College?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

I have recently applied to 3 colleges (withing the scheme for unemployed people: "HEA Market Activation Programme" where limited number of places was available withing certain undergraduate courses and colleges). All applications were sent directly to the colleges (closing date was 31Aug for most places).

I have received 2 offers and accepted an offer from NCI since they only gave me 1 day to make my decision, otherwise they would put me back on the waiting list.

I still didn't receive the decision from DIT (this is my first of choice), but I know they will contact me soon (and perhaps they will also interview me).

Question is: Can I withdraw my acceptance for NCI and go with DIT, and would there be a lot of hassle to do this? (Start day is 22 Sept at NCI, and 21 Sep at DIT). I'll appreciate any help, I don't really know how to behave in this situation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 -MrT-

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Athene

Ii think you should check the CAO handbook, im sure there is a section on accepting offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

-MrT- wrote: »
    I have recently applied to 3 colleges (withing the scheme for unemployed people: "HEA Market Activation Programme" where limited number of places was available withing certain undergraduate courses and colleges). All applications were sent directly to the colleges (closing date was 31Aug for most places).

I have received 2 offers and accepted an offer from NCI since they only gave me 1 day to make my decision, otherwise they would put me back on the waiting list.

I still didn't receive the decision from DIT (this is my first of choice), but I know they will contact me soon (and perhaps they will also interview me).

Question is: Can I withdraw my acceptance for NCI and go with DIT, and would there be a lot of hassle to do this? (Start day is 22 Sept at NCI, and 21 Sep at DIT). I'll appreciate any help, I don't really know how to behave in this situation.

Hi,

Was it a standard offer issued via CAO? I know with the CAO when you accept your place you are no longer on any waiting lists. The acceptance is sent to the admissions office of the college who then take over the admission.

If it was a direct acceptance with the college, then maybe DIT will not have been informed you accepted the NCI offer and you may receive an offer in due course from them.

There was CAOman on here last year, if you search for him and maybe send him a private message he can help. I found him very helpful last year.

Best of luck!

Thx, for your reply guys. Actually I don't know if CAO is involved in this process, since I applied directly to each college separately. Also I received offer from another college about 1 week after the NCI offer. I'll try to find the person you mentioned. Any clue what was his name? I'll try to read CAO handbook tomorrow and maybe will call CAO as well.

In CAO hanbook it states that you can accept any subsequent offer(and it will automatically cancel you previous acceptance). Also it states:

When you have been offered a place in
    one of your course preferences, you are excluded from
    further consideration for any course which is lower in your
    order of preference than the one in which you have been
    offered a place.

However withing scheme for unemployed people there was no way to indicate your order of choice. So I guess I may just accept DIT offer when it comes and don't need to worry about NCI.

I have emailed CAO today, hope they can tell me exactly how it works :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement