Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub on Marlborough St opposite the Abbey Theatre?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone settle an argument and name the pub on Marlborough St directly oposite the Abbey Theatre. I think it's on the corner of Abbey St too, so it's opposite the Flowing Tide on that street. It was closed for a few years but I seem to remember driving by recently and it was packed.

I searched online and golden pages but can't find anything. Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Lanigans Plough or just Lanigans i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

I don't drink in the pub, but as I remember it closed very shortly after or even at the time that this stabbing occured on the premises. I have an idea that it opened for a short period a few years after that for a very short time but closed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Was it called "Barry Fitzgerald's" before "The Plough" or am I confusing it with another pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Was it called "Barry Fitzgerald's" before "The Plough" or am I confusing it with another pub?

it was the plough, barry fitzgeralds was on the corner of marlborough street/earl street, now a chinese buffet.
    i remember going in there for a christmas lunch years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

It was called The Celt for a while, can't remember what its called now though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

It was called The Celt for a while, can't remember what its called now though.

nah the Celt is still there, around the corner on talbot st

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    nah the Celt is still there, around the corner on talbot st

Doh! So it is. Well fat lot of help I was, can't even remember where pubs are!

It was called the Firestone! Yes! I can relax now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

It was called the Firestone! Yes! I can relax now. :D

albeit very briefly before it shut down. it was a dump when it was the plough. i went in years ago with a mate who ordered a coke. when he poured it it was flat but the barman verbally abused me when i asked him to change it, havent been since

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ah, the Plough! What a wonderful yet revolting place! Played my first ever gig there about 25 years ago, and my mother still complains that her ears are ringing from the noise level. (much noise, little talent!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

The flowing tide is the other side of the street, it's the Plough alright or Firestone then as well. Was actually there the night of the mentioned stabbing and was speaking to both the stabber and the murder victim, good times...

edit: **** me! Can't that stabbing was 7 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ladyrage

having been closed for a loooooooong time, it reopened there a few months ago under new management, and I think the full name is "Lanigans, The Plough"... or something... anyway, its a good spot now. Staff are great, and a really nice atmosphere with most of actors etc from the Abbey now choosing to drink there instead of the Flowing tide it would seem...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BHG

the signage that was the Plough has come down (Feb 2014). The board underneath has the shadow of a former name. O'Brien or O'Brien's. It was open as The Plough in 2009, I sound mixed a trad band from Kerry that were in for a fundraiser for Joe Higgins (TD) when he was running for Europe. He got elected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Ladyrage wrote: »
    with most of actors etc from the Abbey now choosing to drink there instead of the Flowing tide it would seem...

And still a right bunch of nobs they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

chopper6 wrote: »
    And still a right bunch of nobs they are.

Don't worry. You'll have a successful audition in there one day. ;)

Advertisement