Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial Van for commute, hows the milage?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Are commercial vans efficient to use as a day to day vehicle?

I've started commuting to work, 100mile round trip 5 times a week.

I'm thinking of keeping my petrol car and getting a commercial van, something along the lines of a 05 Transit, for my commute drive. Is this wise? Are these commercial vans efficient? as efficient as a diesel car?

I could change my car for a diesel car but a 08 is pricey, to make use of the low tax, and I might convert the van to a camper at some stage.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Lad in work here does that, long commute and a 2.0ltr turbo petrol car. Bought himself a carvan. Getting a transit will make no sense as the MPG will be similar to that of a standard car, say 1.4 - 1.6. Better off looking for something like a Golf, Focus or Almera for example. Also check the insurance, might not be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

yes indeed a more efficient car is probably the more sensible solution.
    The smaller car-van does not interest me, no good for a conversion to camper.
    Anyone know where I could find an mpg rating for vans and cars for that matter?

Advertisement