Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEO and Wordpress duplicate content

Options
  • 03-09-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I'm new to wordpress (and SEO!) and trying to minimise duplicate content on my blog.

Obviously, my site.com/tag/tag1 and site.com/category/cat1 pages are going to list my posts with excerpts, which is going to give me duplicate content.

I could exclude these from google using the All in One SEO plugin, or robots.txt

But on the other hand, don't I benefit from google having indexed a URL with tag1 and category1 in it, assuming my tags and categories are keyword optimised?

So it's a trade-off, just wondering which way to go. Maybe exclude categories but not tags?

(My permalinks are in the form www.site.com/year/post-name)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭blue4ever

hola MOH

Its a common problem where your post an be reached in a variety of avenues. But you can get plugins that will assist you. For evample youi can get a plugin that will no index the categories - have a look on the wordpress site under plugings lots there.

If you want to PM me with any Q's I will endevour to answerer them.

Cheers

C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Thanks, I have a pluging which will prevent indexing the categories. I'm wondering should I - how much will I be penalised for duplicate content on my own site, versus the benefit I'll gain from more SEO-friendly URLs

Advertisement