Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are ferry services regulated?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,796 ✭✭✭✭

Are ferry services regulated in the same way that buses are?

I'm not thinking so much of the cross-channel ones, rather the various ones off the coast. (eg Killimer to Tarbert).

Anyone know where I would find a list of all ferry operators?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

don't think so.. the ferry's off mayo to clare island get into fights every year... they have to change offices half way through the summer because one of them complained one year ( the idea behind it was that more people were going to the first office and not the 2nd)... but that was brought on by the courts and not a regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭biblio

AFAIK they are regulated by the Department of the marine, which now falls under the department of transport. a friend of mine operates a ferry service to a heritage site during the summer, the vessel is inspected and licenced by the Dept of the marine and the number of visits they can make to the heritage site is regulated by the Office of public works

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a licencing regime, but not in the same way as buses. There were shenanigans with Clare - Aran Islands ferries as well AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Some of these services attract a subsidy, from the Department of Arts, Heritage, Gaeltacht and the Islands. I believe there are tenders and contract awards every so often.

I understand that the operation of these ferries can sometimes be quite contentious at local level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

• Advertisement
Advertisement