Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KEY to Read Electricity Meter

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm not sure if this is the right place.. I need to access my ESB meter for an accurate reading but the meter is shut really tight.. I tried to open it with a pliers but it wont work. Is there a special key with 3 sides to open them? Does anyone know where I can get one. The letting agent opened it to read the meter the day we moved in but i don't know how he got it open as it's jammed shut.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Yes there are special keys that you buy. Your local DIY/Hardware shop should have them,

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Pliers will work fine, I open mine with a pliers each month.
    I've opened one's in the past with a butterknife when I was struck :)

Your not trying hard enough,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I use a large flat head screwdriver wide enough to wedge in the aperture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Your meter reader would have some if you ever see him. I use a long nose pliers if I can't find my key. ESB would probably send you out one if you rang them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

If you ring ESB they should send you one for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Thanks a million guys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

ha, weird things that fit.

i have a RockStar keyring from when i got GTA when it came out in the limited edition box.

i needed to close it the other day as the neighbours bins whack off it and open it.

The star part of the keyring fits perfectly!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What i'd like to know is what do the builders do with the keys! Each cabinet comes with one, so where do they put them. This question is asked so much its crazy, even today in the accommodation forum

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

B&Q sell em for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Davy wrote: »
    What i'd like to know is what do the builders do with the keys! Each cabinet comes with one, so where do they put them. This question is asked so much its crazy, even today in the accommodation forum
    probably sold to your local hardware store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

More info here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPTlXqhzYc

Regards,

Fnergg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Any hardware store will sell the 3-sided key. That or a good set of pliers.

Anyhow, this is not a Consumer Issue. Moved to Home & Garden > Electrical.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Fnergg wrote: »
    More info here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmPTlXqhzYc

Regards,

Fnergg

Quite a catchy song to go alone with that piece :D

Advertisement