Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What options for using Remote Control in neighbouring room?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

I have a TV connected by coaxial to a satellite receiver, not Sky box, in an adjoining room, (wall in between is concrete block). So I'm stuck with what ever channel I select in the receiver room.

Looking at those AV senders in Lidl I was not able to determine if they also transmit the remote control signal to the other room. Seems like they should do, be very limited otherwise.

Any chance I could send the remote signal down some fibre-optic cable. Distance is about 6 feet. If this was possible where would I get this fibre-optic cable.

I have seen remote extenders on the Net for about €30,incl p&p. Is this the best way to go?
    Am happy enough to keep the coaxial connection for video.

Looking for most reliable,and simplest solution, if possible not involving batteries or power supplies.
    P.S. I have wireless broadband running as well, which I believe used the same frequencies as most AV senders.

Thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

You can just use the video senders - most of these have a string of little IR blasters - they're tiny litttle self adhesive rectanguar gizmos, that plug into to the "sender" - you stick these gizmos on the front of your dvd/vido/set top box whatever and you point your remote at the "receiver" of the video sender. In your case you don't need to use these as actual video senders atall, you can just use them for transmitting/receiving the IR remote control commands. One of the "senders" is capable of converting the IR commands from whatever remote is pointed at it, turns them into radio signals, transmits them to the other "sender" which turns it back into an IR signal and sends that signal out to a string of the aforementioned little gizmos which release the IR command on the front of your set top box ( gizmo stuck near to the IR receiver, hopefully). I've had a set up like this running for 3 or more years using video senders from Aldi giving remote control access to dvd player, Sky box and STB from upstairs, works a treat.

Ritz.

Advertisement