Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you learn all the stuff in ten lessons?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

My sister had ten lessons with this instrustor about a month and a half ago, then we went on holidays.
    when we got back i wanted to see how she drives....she couldnt even get out of the estate!! i know every car is different, but HERE"S what make me think about her instructor.

my sister was never been taught the "reverse around the corner" "3 point turn" (i know its called something else now, but i forgot what's it called ) or the "hill start" . all she did for the ten lessons was drove around bit of town and roundabouts!! and when the instructor comes to our house my mom and i realise that they would be sitting there for about 10-15 mins before they move off!( that;s EVERY lesson) oh and she never learned how to park.

when i was learning to drive my instuctor taught me everything within 10 lessons that would be asked in the test. so i'd like to know does ALL instructors do that? if yes, can i make a complain to somebody? because my sister would need to get more lessons now!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

There's 3 simple rules to learn in order to learn how to drive a car

1. Buy a car

2. Have a desperate need to drive it

3. Drive it

The same rule applies equally to men as to women.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

There's 3 simple rules to learn in order to learn how to drive a car

1. Buy a car

2. Have a desperate need to drive it

3. Drive it

The same rule applies equally to men as to women.

....and my question is not clear?
    my sister PAID the instructor for ten lessons, so that she, despite learning to drive safely on the road , could also learn what will be asked for the road test and how to pass them. BUT i dont think the instructor has.

the question is..
    i would like to know does all instructors teaches everything within 10 lessons or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

my sister PAID the instructor for ten lessons, so that she, despite learning to drive safely on the road , could also learn what will be asked for the road test and how to pass them. BUT i dont think the instructor has.

the question is..
    i would like to know does all instructors teaches everything within 10 lessons or not.

Relax!

Yes you should easily have everything down in 10 lessons provided you know how to drive before you get the lessons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

the question is..

Instructors are clueless.

I bought a car 5 years ago, couldn't drive ... had to get a friend to drive it to my house...

then got in it with my sis.. learned the basics, took a lesson with a tw^t of an "instructor", then 2 days later, drove it from Dublin to Sligo & back again without killing anybody.

3 months later I had my test, so I took another lesson to get to know the route.

The "instructor" advised me that I'd need at LEAST another 10 lessons to past the test.

I passed first time.

Ans, as I keep telling my missus, whenever she tells me to be careful, or to slow down.,.,,

"I've only ever crashed once"

:D

Relax!

Yes you should easily have everything down in 10 lessons provided you know how to drive before you get the lessons

yea, sorry, im very pissed with this instructor.
    just felt my sister threw a bug chunk of money into the sea!
    my instructor taught me how to drive and all that in ten lessons and i've never driven a car beforehand.
    so is it right for me to say this instructor is useless? is there a way i can make a complain to anyone, so that noone follows the path of my sister?

@ starbelgrade. congrats on the first time pass. why are those "instructors" still around? just trying to suck peoples money away!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

no no no, i didnt mean "test ready" within 10 lessons. but to be taught to do these manoevrs (yes,spelled wrong) , but she was never shown how to do it.
    when i got my lessons my instructor taught me these manovers and i had to try and perform it myself, but of course i wasnt fit to do the test just yet! but at least i was shown how to do it, and just get some idea what you will be asked to do it in the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

no no no, i didnt mean "test ready" within 10 lessons. but to be taught to do these manoevrs (yes,spelled wrong) , but she was never shown how to do it.
    when i got my lessons my instructor taught me these manovers and i had to try and perform it myself, but of course i wasnt fit to do the test just yet! but at least i was shown how to do it, and just get some idea what you will be asked to do it in the test.

The simple answer to your question is yes, normally a beginner should be able to drive and complete the manoeuvres mentioned after 10 lessons. However as you know everyone is different and while most beginners will have mastered the basics after 10 lessons, this may not be the case with your sister.
    There's no point in an instructor spending time teaching her to reverse or park, if she can't get the car moving forward. It does seem however that her instructor is taking too long explaining what he'll be covering on the lesson if he's spending 15 minutes outside your house before moving off. And I'd have my doubts about his teaching ability from what you say.

Is he an ADI? If he is you can contact the RSA and make a complaint, but I'm not sure that you'll get anywhere. Maybe he's a very good instructor, and your sister is just a slow learner, so you can't accuse him of anything unless you're certain that he's been taking money under false pretences.

If he's not an ADI, he's breaking the law for giving lessons for reward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Some won't focus on manouvers [no better at spelling] for the first 10 lessons as people mainly learn them for the test and rather focus on getting driving. I split my lessons and did 5 to start and then went off and spent several months driving with friends and family while waiting for my test date. Two weeks before my test I took 3 more lessons and that focused on all those test things, I felt calmer doing them as I was comfortable driving at this stage. BUT and this is the big but everyone is different and some will pick things up quicker and others just learn different....MY brother took 10 lessons and I don't think he could turn a car on let alone drive the thing. Do I think it's the fault of the instructor? No I just think he needs more time on the basics then I did. Have you taken your sister out driving yourself? do you think she's picking it up quick with you and its the fault of the instructor or do you think she just needs to spend time driving and getting use to the road?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Was the instructor from a reputable school and on the ADI register?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

I've gotten 9 lessons since I started driving about 6 weeks ago. I think I started off pretty well and took to it easily. From the experiences of other people, I think some people learn very quickly and some people don't.

The instructors are sometimes at fault I believe. The instructor I use (used) seemed to start off very quickly. But I've really got the feeling that he's just trying to stretch out each lesson in order to squeeze more money from me. (We've done very little new stuff in the last 4 lessons) This may have happened to your sister...

I've barely been around town and he tends to end lessons early (45min lessons are sometimes shortened to 30min). Needless to say I'll be switching my instructor, I suppose it pays to shop around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 RSA ADI MARK

hi bluefirefly,why did you not got the instructor who taught you for your sister,sounds like he was wasting time sitting out side the house and was your sister driving away from the house,next time take a couple of lessons if shes not happy then get another,but make sure he/she has an adi badge

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

wayne0308 wrote: »
    I've gotten 9 lessons since I started driving about 6 weeks ago. I think I started off pretty well and took to it easily. From the experiences of other people, I think some people learn very quickly and some people don't.
    That's easily possible. My girlfriend and I both used the same instructor, but yet she has progressed only half as quickly as I have.

As for your second point, I can't believe that you're not getting the full hour from your instructor. The guy I use turns up on the hour and has me dropped off almost exactly an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

and when the instructor comes to our house my mom and i realise that they would be sitting there for about 10-15 mins before they move off!( that;s EVERY lesson) oh and she never learned how to park.
    My instructor would spend 10 minutes every lesson asking me questions about road signs, markings, the car and other things. He's not doing it to save on petrol, he's doing it because you'll be asked it as part of your test! At best, not knowing these kind of things will cost you a few faults; at worst, you'll fail your test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭.DarDarBinks

If u have a decent level of driving you will, if not the instructor will spend most of the time teaching you how to drive whilst biting his/her nails hoping you dont crash and not enough time on positiong awareness and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I don't think it's fair to blame your sister not being able to drive on her instructor. I think you are being quite harsh.

When it comes to driving, some people have a natural ability and some people don't. It's like everything else in life, some of us learn faster than others. When I was learning how to drive, I cut out every single time I tried to move off for ages. Last week, I allowed my friend (who has never driven before) to try drive my car (in a deserted car park at night) and hey presto, no bother to him, moved off first time as if he'd been driving for years!

You say your sister and her instructor sat outside for about 10 minutes before actually driving. Why is this a problem? My instructor often gave me "pep talks" before lessons as I was quite nervous and sometimes needed reassurance. Why is this a problem? Should he have hopped into the car and said, "Go!"?

Honestly, if after ten lessons, she couldn't get the car out of your estate, I would consider that a problem more on her part. Perhaps driving just does not come easily to her. This is nothing to be looked down on, a lot of people are like this but thinking that it is all her instructors fault is not exactly the answer.

If she can't get a car out of a housing estate, I understand perfectly why he didn't teach her a hill start or a reverse around a corner or a turnabout - she wasn't ready for it. In order to do these manoeuvres sufficiently, the driver needs to understand clutch control and realistically, if she can't drive in a straight line, it's best not to daunt her with more challenging tasks.

If you really think the instructor is at fault, try a different one and then you'll know for sure. It is not possible to put a number on how many lessons a person will need to become a good driver, in my opinion.

Advertisement