Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should I sacrifice?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Wanting to do Law next year (not sure if I'll do it in Ireland or not), so that's going to require a lot of points. Thing is, I'm struggling with subjects and wondering what I should do.

My Current subjects are:

English (HL)
    Maths (HL)
    Irish (HL)
    History (HL)
    Japanese (HL)
    Chemistry (HL)
    Physics (HL)
    Music (HL)
    Business Studies (HL) (Self taught, been coasting it done no hardwork for it, but I've looked at the course, and no I can do well)

English, History, Japanese and Chemistry I'll be keeping higher level. My 4 best subjects, and the only ones I enjoy.

Physics I find absolutely boring, I have to fight to pay attention in the class, and to be honest I'm thinking of dropping to concentrate on other subjects

Music is taught after school. Teacher is Sh*te, and I'll have to a do a good bit of work myself to do well in it, but at least it's more points.

Business I'm unsure about keeping. Did it for Jc, and found it easy and grasped it well. Business in JC had accounting and stuff, and this by far is the easier side of what occured in the JC.

My main problem is Maths and Irish. Had absolutely sh*te teachers the last few years and really have only barely been hanging in there. Got D's for my JC in both of them. In the Summer tests this year failed both of them. I'm no dropping both of them, but I can't devote time to the two of them and hope to do well.

I'm also wondering does anyone know is Honours Irish a requirement to study Law?!

Anyway just comment on what you think I should do. Anything will help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm in the maths situation myself. BARELY hanging on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Healium wrote: »
    I'm in the maths situation myself. BARELY hanging on

aye, I know what you mean mate. Like I don't think it'll be hard, but I've gotta put in priority work for it if I wanna pass well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

You don't need honours irish for law. Why would you do honours irish and maths though? If your struggling to pass both, then your definitly not going to be using them for points:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

I dropped down to pass maths earlier in 5th year as the way I saw it was, if I wanted to get in anyway good grade in Maths I'd have to work my arse off, and my other subjects would suffer greatly. So I dropped down and I'm doing very well in it and it really has been the best decision ever, as now I'm not constantly worried about maths and my other subjects get a fair seeing to. I'd say consider it anyway.

theowen wrote: »
    You don't need honours irish for law. Why would you do honours irish and maths though? If your struggling to pass both, then your definitly not going to be using them for points:rolleyes:

Well I'll be looking for points in other subjects, but I want either one or the other. I'm just wondering what people think I should do to get the most points...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

i'd say drop down in irish (its what i did). it takes a lot of hard work to get an alrite grade, especially if you don't enjoy it(unless its a course requirement). i can't give the same advise about maths because i enjoyed it, but if you don't, i'd say drop as well.

as for music, why don't you get a different teacher if your doing it outside school(unless your doing it through school, in which case, skip the next few sentences). people are always complaining that teachers are crap but they can't do anything about it. you can do something, so do it.

business; i'd always be wary about people doing subjects by themselves, but i haven't a clue about LC business so i can't really comment.

overall, i recommend just doing 6 honours subjects. its what i did and i got 550.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I'm a bit stumped....Irish is more of a "learn it off" subject,so are you putting the time in? Although,some people just don't GET Irish. If you don't have a mathematical mind,you're screwed in HL Maths. Not sure what you should do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

dump the physics and take up hebrew studies. It will go well with japanese. Check out the examiners report for hebrew studies on www.examinations.ie . Think the report is for 2007

pathway33 wrote: »
    dump the physics and take up hebrew studies. It will go well with japanese. Check out the examiners report for hebrew studies on www.examinations.ie . Think the report is for 2007
    Do you not need to able to speak hebrew? Would be like taking up honours french with no past history of french, no?

• Advertisement

Slugs wrote: »
    Well I'll be looking for points in other subjects, but I want either one or the other. I'm just wondering what people think I should do to get the most points...
    So you don't need honours in either as a requirement, or you won't be using either for points, yet you want to do honours in one of them?

@ Fince: Ya I was originally studying 3 subjects myself. That theory went down the drain after 3 months :P. But business should be fine. And Music is done through the school. I should be fine for it, just I'll have to learn music theory myself.

@Healium: Like the problem I have with maths is I don't understand why. If I don't understand why, I don't understand the question... I can do it, but I just don't understand it. Irish is living hell for me atm. It really is =/.

And Hebrew studies? I'm not jewish, and certainly don't plan to...

theowen wrote: »
    Do you not need to able to speak hebrew? Would be like taking up honours french with no past history of french, no?

but he/she is brilliant at japanese so that sort of skill can be easily applied to hebrew. All you need to know is the alphabeth and the rest is historical bible stuff.

He/she is also cool at history so it's a perfect match.

Also half the paper is an english essay i think

pathway33 wrote: »
    but he/she is brilliant at japanese so that sort of skill can be easily applied to hebrew. All you need to know is the alphabeth and the rest is historical bible stuff.

He/she is also cool at history so it's a perfect match.

Also half the paper is an english essay i think
    It's he, and eh, I think I've enough to be worrying about to take on another subject...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fince

9 subjects is 3 too many already

Not really. I mean, I won't be putting HUGE pressure on myself for business or music, I'll be trying, but I won't be dissapointed if I only get a B3 or a C1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rodgerc

As was previously stated bud 9 subjects is far too many. I know you may feel your hedging your bets but a higher level subject requires dedication and honestly you know yourself at this moment whether or not you will need a subject for points. You have your core 4 already thats good. As for your other 2 and imo i think you need your 6 subjects, what good is 7 A1s. Your best 6 are all that matter. as for the other 2 subjects i woul recommend keeping physics, the course is very short and the maths content in it isnt very hard just aload of formulae that you can learn off. Honestly the only thing that will catch you is the units etc which can be learnt and i will honestly say if you can do and undertstand the last few years of exam papers you can get a strong B. I stress understand because if you can get a hang of the material the exams become common sense. I loved and still found it rather boring since we finished the course half way through 5th year and i found revising it frustrating since i wanted to expand on what i knew. As for maths and irish your finding them hard then drop em to ordinary level. I dont know bout maths but for irish, i can safely say if you did higher level for the junior cert then LC ordinary level irish is like a walk in the park. As for maths some of my friends that really struggled with higher level went to pass and just learnt some oddball stuff not covered in higher level and found teh ordinary level grand. Imo your work load atm is too much and you would be doing yourself a favour going for 6 good subjects. As for music and Business studies i have no experience in those subjects and feel you should decide which you feel more comfortable because at the back of it all if your happy to work on a subject then you will do more work for it and aim for a higher grade. Gl in the Leaving Certificate, just remember when the going gets tough remind yourself This is easy : D

Thanks Rodg ^^

Very inspiring words :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Chris if your not planning to do it here then drop Irish((Which teacher do you have btw?))

Other wise Physics,Its the least practical out of the lot.

Oh and Hi :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement