Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up your life for the leavin

Options
  • 02-09-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hey! Had my 1st day of 6th year...our year head told us today that were not to have a part-time job,no like sports stuff, no extra stuff bacisally!

Well today found out theres a new sports team startin up that i want to give a go, with trainin once a week, i told my sister what the year head and she said its just to frighten students that wouldnt study to study.

So im wondering what do you think of this like should give up your life for the leavin??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

That's a load of balls... Dont get a part time job but join the sports team will actually benefit u as it wil relax ur mind and get rid of stress

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Your teacher is a fool. I can see where he/she is coming from with the job(but its your choice) I know a girl that worked part time in Penneys and got well over 500 but not partake in any sports? What does she think that will achieve? People like that shouldn't be allowed to come out with crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hey! Had my 1st day of 6th year...our year head told us today that were not to have a part-time job,no like sports stuff, no extra stuff bacisally!

Well today found out theres a new sports team startin up that i want to give a go, with trainin once a week, i told my sister what the year head and she said its just to frighten students that wouldnt study to study.

So im wondering what do you think of this like should give up your life for the leavin??

I gave up rugby alright but I went for a 5 mile run once a week to clear my head with a few lads from school. It unhealthy to be stuck on books all the time. Try the sports team out and see if you like it or not but I myself put my priorities first and put study at the top of the agenda. I did go to peoples 18ths and stuff but I never got drunk!

What points were you aiming for? 600 or something?

It really doesn't require you to lose a year of your life for most people. Its hard but it can be enjoyable all the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Do the team thing. Only one training a week. I know lads that have went out every weekend and done trainings 2-3 times a week and still got 550 plus points.

Besides this team thing will hardly be on from now to May will it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

its all blah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    What points were you aiming for? 600 or something?

It really doesn't require you to lose a year of your life for most people. Its hard but it can be enjoyable all the same.

I got 580! but as I said i didnt study like crazy or anything! My parents kinda made me give it up aswell in case i broke my arm or something!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Your teacher is talking crap. I doubt a job would be the best idea but training and playing sport is very beneficial I hear. So I'd say go ahead and join that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭princess_calico

Hey,
    Just did the LC and I got 500 points.

I didn't give up life for the year... the come out with a load of sh*te to be honest... I had a part time job, working saturdays and sundays, and until the end of halloween, i was involved in the school musical and since i had a lead role, i had rehearsals at least 4 evenings a week after school. I used to skip evening studies some days to practise music n stuff so don't give up ur life for the year!

*ps* it's not as bad as everyone says it is so relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Thanks for all da quick replies!
    Yea well im aiming for like 350 points like mid-way...
    Yea i know she is mad in the head...well im goin to try in out and yea like its rugby ladies team im joinin so it be like till april or so..But like they let me off for my mocks etc..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I'm surprised at such an extreme comment from a teacher tbh.

Yes, you certainly need plenty of time to study if you want to do the best LC you can, and it's unwise to load yourself up with other commitments if you can avoid it.

But sitting at a desk all day and all night is an unhealthy approach and probably isn't going to get you the best LC either.

You need to factor in some R&R time, and in particular you need to factor in some fresh air and exercise, you'll feel much better for it and concentrate better when you are studying.

Training once a week doesn't strike me as OTT at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm surprised at such an extreme comment from a teacher tbh.

Yes, you certainly need plenty of time to study if you want to do the best LC you can, and it's unwise to load yourself up with other commitments if you can avoid it.

But sitting at a desk all day and all night is an unhealthy approach and probably isn't going to get you the best LC either.

You need to factor in some R&R time, and in particular you need to factor in some fresh air and exercise, you'll feel much better for it and concentrate better when you are studying.

Training once a week doesn't strike me as OTT at all.
    True. Don't load on commitments, not so much to drain you completely, but keeping fit and enjoying a social life is important. If you're happier and fit you're studying will definetly benefit as a result. I'd give up sports for the year though that have a high risk of injury, such as rugby. A broken wrist and you could be in serious trouble. If not in September, I'd definetly stop all dangerous sport after Christmas. Stuff like soccer and football might be alright, but in the weeks before the LC obviously with study they'd have to slow down.

That's seriously poor advice from a teacher and I'm surprised a grown adult would say such a thing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm considering giving up my xbox/ps3, and that's as far as I'm going!:p

My plan is to do 8 hours study over weekend(4 on Saturday, 4 on Sunday) at the start and then a month before the mocks up that a bit to maby 12 hours give or take.

Thats nothing really if you get up early(like 8 or 9) and study till 12 or 1, leaves the rest of the day to do other stuff like going gym, hanging out with friends, head to cinema, watch tv etc.

Will probably go to the Library on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and do a bit. Friday will be my off day as I'd have no time really since I go to all Bohemians matches but the season is over soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

LovexxLife wrote: »

That's pretty outrageous advice to be honest! There's plenty of time for study and everything else! And training once a week definitely won't take away from your study time. Remember - no one can function without time off. You'll have to study a fair bit if you want to do well, but you can still have a lot of fun during the year.

Like I took part in my school musical, so I had rehearsals about 5 times a week up until Christmas... And I still kept up with my music and everything (I play piano and violin)... And I went out on a regular basis throughout the year (and generally got hammered whenever I did:P)... And I got 600 points! :D

So, in conclusion, it's possible to study hard for the LC and still have a normal life! Don't worry:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭pjtb

You can do sport, and should do sport, if it's not taking up all your time. If you play football and you're on like a million teams, each with their own training session and matches, there's no way that it won't impenge on your study time/down time. I think you need 'doing nothing' time, as in lounging around/watching tv, as well as sports time. Well I would anyway... Don't give up sport, but don't let it take up too much of your time- even when you're finished your training or whatever you have, you're bound to be tired. And being tired doesn't help with differentiation or An cearrbhach Mac Cába!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

theowen wrote: »
    I'm considering giving up my xbox/ps3, and that's as far as I'm going!:p

i dont no can i do that tbh!!!.... i have a deposit on call of duty modern warfare 2........cant wait!:P

Yeah PES 2010 reports seem great so doubt I'll be dropping the PS3.

Daragh101 wrote: »
    i dont no can i do that tbh!!!.... i have a deposit on call of duty modern warfare 2........cant wait!:P
    ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Yeah PES 2010 reports seem great so doubt I'll be dropping the PS3.
    Lol, lads seriously, your talking to a repeat here and ps3s etc are so bad for your leaving cert year. It's just too easy to throw the books aside and turn it on. That said, if you said to your mam"lock it away until the weekend/holidays" you'd be ok:p(until the immediate run up to the LC anyway).

• Advertisement

Thats why I'm gonna be studying in the Library then when I get home play it. The best of both worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 doug.irl.92

I would say that your teacher is nuts!! I know that I would probably be jumping off a bridge before Christmas if I were to give up my social life and sport to just concentrate on study!! Personaly I will be trying to keep my sport up but if it starts to interfere with my goals then I will have to cut back on my 8 1 hour training sessions a week. I would say that you should definitly go for that team as 2 or 3 hours out of the 168 in a week is not that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rodgerc

Here bud i laughed when i read that because when i was in 6th year i was going out most Saturday nights and working Sundays. I think your year head is just being a tool and trying to play some scare tactic. Seriously bud sixth year is a big enough pain in the ass without giving up your hobbies as well and your source of revenue to support your hobbies. All i can say is you know how capable you are atm and if things start going pear shaped at Christmas exams then decide whether you want to concentrate on the Lc more. For me in the final term i did supervised study 5 days of the week, broke my heart but it forced me to do my work. Honestly if you do your homework to the best of your ability that will honestly stand to you later in June.

rodgerc wrote: »
    Seriously bud sixth year is a big enough pain in the ass without giving up your hobbies as well and your source of revenue to support your hobbies.
    I'd agree with him on the hobbies part but not the job. You should be relaxing say, on the Sunday(if that's when you work), instead of working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 cGirl

That's madness.

I went into sixth year with a load of good intentions, I didn't follow any of them through. I paid attention in class, but in terms of study outside school, I did barely any. I started studying seriously in the last 2 weeks we had off before the Leaving, and some weekends before that and I did grand.

Makes me wonder how I would have done had I put more effort into it. No need to give up your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Wow your Year Head seems a bit harsh. We were told by our principal not to give up any sport or music. Really it keeps you sane throughout the year and gives you something to distract yourself with and a means to unwind from study. Definitely join that new team and enjoy yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭El Che

Your not in Mountmellick are you?

I remember when I was there we got the exact same speech. Needless to say it was a load of rubbish as several of us kept part-time jobs and still got good and excellent results.

It will be a serious year, with a heavy workload, but just do what the teacher's tell you to do, study what they advise you to study, and it'll work out fine. I'm sure that if you've any questions they can't answer, people here will be able to help.

However, if you do find sports/hobbies/part-time job getting overly in the way of study or affecting your concentration, give it up for the remainder of the year and concentrate any spare time doing things you like that aren't for pay or competitiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I can remeber in first eyar a daft student councilour told us that we should do atleast 3 hour study a night...3!!!...and in first eyar,I barley did that much for 3rd eyar,let alone 5th.By all means though I'll kniuckle down once 6th year starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Drakmord

It's only 8 months, not your life.
    I only studied Monday to Friday, started studying at the weekends near the end and I got 570. Helped my Dad on the farm at weekends. I did give up the playstation though.

I think there should be a healthy balance, though I wouldn't advise working after school.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rowtowin

I think you should definetly join that club! You will literally go mad if you don't do something else other than study!

I did my lc last year and rowed during the year(5times a week) and came out with 555points and an all-ireland silver medal so it can be done!

It can be tiring though so just make sure you get enough sleep and eat healthy and stuff but its really cool to have sport on the side cos you can forget about school and study for a while and just have fun!

Advertisement