Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ag science or Business

Options
  • 02-09-2009 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I am repeating the leaving cert this year and basically would love your opinion on whether to repeat ag science or business,

I do geography and biology and pretty much love them but on the other hand i despise economics... but is business different? i could just learn it off unlike economics where understanding of the subject is needed...

Would greatly appreciate a reply soon smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

GVNDNN wrote: »
    I am repeating the leaving cert this year and basically would love your opinion on whether to repeat ag science or business,

I do geography and biology and pretty much love them but on the other hand i despise economics... but is business different? i could just learn it off unlike economics where understanding of the subject is needed...

Would greatly appreciate a reply soon smile.gif

Hey! You wrote a message to me on another thread I created, but I thought It would be better if I responded here.
    I didnt do geography myself but I love biology too!
    I havent done economics before, so I dont know really what to say about that. But Im guessing you found out that I did business for the LC. Its a nice enough subject, I personally didnt like it but sure everyone is different. Its an easy enough subject to take up in a year, there is a lot of theory in it though, and they are very picky about the way you phrase answers. Section A (short questions, answer 8 out of 10) are grand, Section B(Applied Business Question) is also fine, Section 3 (long questions, choose 4 out of 7, I think) can be a bit iffy though, depending on the question.
    However, I think its very doable. It seems to be a 'repeat' subject that people tend to take up. However, remember, there is a lot of theory. You wont need to attend 5th yr classes as you can teach yourself, but defo go to 6th yr classes. Just put in a lot of work and Id say you could get a B.

I didnt do ag science myself, so I wont be of much help here, but from people are saying, biology seems to be a very useful subject to have and of which you do have, so that might be a lot of help to you in this subject.

Hope I helped! Good luck with repeating and let us know which subject you choose! Feel free to keep asking questions, only happy to help! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Arg science also has a project worth 25% which would be very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

I think you should do the ag science.You already to bio and goeg and they are science subjects which you like so you would prob be more interested in ag science.I am taking it up this year aswell as I heard if you are science minded it would be easy to get points in.I do business aswell...there is a lot in it but it is do-able in a year.If you dont like economics you are prob more science minded than business so you probably would be better doing ag science.You tend to do better in subjects you enjoy. There is also quite a lot of biology in it and then it is about farming and crops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭IRISH DAYWALKER

i did business for the leaving and loved it because it suited me down to the ground its all theory so all you have to do is learn off there is a tiny bit of accounting in it but its simple beleive me i highly doubt it would give you bother... hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

What kind of stuff does Ag Science entail? I love Geography so yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    What kind of stuff does Ag Science entail? I love Geography so yeah.

some biology,farming like about produce and cattle and sheep. You learn about different crops and plants and stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

definatly do ag science, its really easy and fairly enjoyable, the biology is just over junior cert standard, the soil section is just over junior cert geography

the rest is just anatomy of bugs and pest and farm animals, also the whole system of how a farm works, with pigs, cows, sheep, milking, grassland, how to feed them, silage, growing crops, harvesting, diseases ect

easist subject to get an A

id say go on to the department website and look at a past paper, very good chance you would get a high mark at a lower paper
    its mostly commen sense!

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2009/LC024GLP000EV.pdf

do you reckon it be possible to do AG by yourself???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭kevogy

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    do you reckon it be possible to do AG by yourself???

well the theory is easy enough
    the revise wise book is better than any school book buy it and try an exam paper see if you can get all the answers

the teacher gives you up to 25% of your total mark, if you show him a good project, behave well in class, show an intrest in he subject, basicly lick his ass, he will give you a good mark

then the inspector comes into the school to tests a few students knowledge, check afew projects and see if the teacher has marked fairly and not favored any student, changes a % or two if he sees the teacher has given an unfair mark.

i dont know how this is done outside of school

ah crap. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ophoudini

bonus point for the refernce in the title.

This is how to nail the Leaving cert. FACT!

Ok, I repeated in a grind school, (go to one, forget putting up with class clowns and teachers who are late). An ethos of 'can do' instead of maybe is what u get.

I took up Geography, Economics, Ag Science, Phys Chem, all in one year
    I kept on Irish, Business, Maths and Applied Maths.

I dropped Ag Science at March but would have done better than I did in Economics B3Higher. It has a project which i kept putting off so if u can do that well, fair play, but i just didnt care too much for it, easier subjests tbh
    I nailed Business 100% first in the country, so I'm obviously gonna tell you to do that. Piece of pie. Its just general Knowledge in bullet points.

It depends on your teacher, but if you are a repeat student, I'd say go to a grind school,

I know they are expensive but it's the best decision I ever made, I got offered a good course in limeick but i turned it down now doin actuary in baile atha cliath.

If you are doing Ag science do applied maths to
    sssshhhh
    Secret to the leaving certificate
    If you do both applied maths and ag science both are on the same day, 14.00pm to 16.00pm same time, come out of the applied maths and meet with ur mates after the ag science look over the paper and with ur teacher and then go in and do it from 16:15pm to 18:15pm
    u didnt here it here

Anyways if u need anyhelp reply back, ill help u out, what course u wanna do??

Advertisement