Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bats use 'Love Songs'

Options
  • 02-09-2009 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to post this isn the 'Children of teh night...' thread or not, so mods feel free to move if sen fit.
    of a new study of Brazilian free-tailed bats, which now join songbirds and whales as some of the only animals known to use a kind of musical language during courtship.

Based on recordings of the animals from both locations, the researchers found that the bats' songs contain definite phrases made up of birdlike chirps, buzzes, and trills.

Males sing their ballads as they hang upside down or sideways, sometimes flapping their wings and dripping a foul-smelling liquid that further attracts females.

It all sounds lovely and romantic (except perhaps the foul smelling liquid bit). Read all about it here.

090828-free-tailed-bats-love-songs_big.jpg
    (Looks kinda like he's smiling)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Bards (in the old pagan sense) of the bat world?:) sounds interesting for a nocturnal creature.

p.s. the bat has that evil monkey from the closet look from Family Guy (look at the eye;))

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Males sing their ballads as they hang upside ...

I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!
    I must not speed read!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

awwwww thats adorable!

i love bats there like cuter flying mice

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

theres an article in the local paper. calling all bat lovers to get a count on a certain species of bat, with some tips and tricks how to lure one to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

calling all bat lovers with some tips and tricks how to lure one to you :)

:eek:

For what exactly? :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

:eek:

For what exactly? :P
    To trick Batman out of his cave of course!! its probably the only way to sneak up on him, tie him up and bring him to surprize birthday party:pac:

Advertisement