Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

doing hdip in ed after masters question

Options
  • 02-09-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

my friend was telling me that you have to take a yr off between finishing the ma and starting the hdip,as when you apply for the hdip the results from the masters havnt been counted towards the points for the hdip....is this true?anyone know for sure,or done a masters then hdip no bother? cause i just took a yr off college,after my undergrad degree and dont want to take another one off next yr. i also need the points though,didt get it last yr...

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Moved from Postgrads forum - you will most likely get more people here who have been in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

yes it's true. The 6 points you will get for the masters cannot be used immediately

So if you graduate with a masters in summer 2009, you then apply for the PGDE which starts in september 2010.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

Yeah, I was in your situation.

I didn't get the dip after my degree so I went straight into a masters. I didn't get the dip after the masters cos the points couldn't be added in time. So I went teaching for a year, after which I had more than enough points for the dip.

But entry to the dip in Trinity is NOT based on the CAO points system. You simply apply and do an interview. So if you don't fancy hanging around/subbing for another year then Trinity is probably your best bet.

All the best with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daffodil88

oh no,wish i'd known this before i took this year off,def wouldnt have do that if i knew id have to take another one off....seriously considering primary teaching in northern ire now too...thanks for the help:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

daffodil88 wrote: »
    primary teaching

I was talking about secondary teaching. No idea how primary works

• Advertisement

yeah i know,i meant secondary in my first post.think primary is more straight forward anyways. thanks again

[But entry to the dip in Trinity is NOT based on the CAO points system. You simply apply and do an interview. So if you don't fancy hanging around/subbing for another year then Trinity is probably your best bet.]

jusy saw this,such good advice,didnt know this!thanks :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

<3 B.Phil degree <_<

I was able to go straight from my MA into my H.Dip since I had done an optional B.Philosophy degree in third year of my BA which counted as a full second degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I did a masters the year after my degree and then did the hdip the following year because I already had enough points from my degree without even doing the masters

thats the thing,i'm doing the masters to get the points,pretty sure i wont get it otherwise...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Ok if thats the case, it looks like you'll have to wait an extra year :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭01mirelly

sitstill wrote: »
    Ok if thats the case, it looks like you'll have to wait an extra year :-(

I DID MY MASTERS LAST YR FINISHIN SEPT 2008 AND NOW STARTIN HDIP IN MAYNOOTH NEXT WEEK

SO IT IS POSSIBLE

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

daffodil88 wrote: »
    thats the thing,i'm doing the masters to get the points,pretty sure i wont get it otherwise...:(
    Have you not started your masters yet? Because you can get points for teaching experience too, and that probably would be far more beneficial to your own development as a teacher. Subbing work probably depends on how hard swine flu hits though. :)
    And you'd have to get all your hours before December. While some teaching abroad counts towards experience on the application, it might be too late to set it up by now.

congrats on the hdip,but would you have had enough points to do the hdip without having done the masters.were the points from he masters counted?

Advertisement