Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Spotlights

Options
  • 02-09-2009 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭

I am about to buy 6 cheap spotlights (GU10 ones) from B&Q for my kitchen. Each is a double-light unit i.e. 6 wires but 12 bulbs. They are all on the same circuit.

They light all come with halogen bulbs. As they blow, I want to replace them with LED spotlights as more energy efficient. Is this a good idea? Will the LED bulbs give (a) the same amount of light and (b) the same quality oflight as the halogen spots?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

There will be a reduction in light output for led.You can buy good quality 'energy saver' halogen'.I also see 'megaman' are making a '14watt gu10'.They might be good for a kitchen if they fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

davelerave wrote: »
    There will be a reduction in light output for led.You can buy good quality 'energy saver' halogen'.I also see 'megaman' are making a '14watt gu10'.They might be good for a kitchen if they fit.

Thanks. Do you know what the wattage equivalents are for traditional bulbs/halogens/CFLs/LEDs? In my kitchen, I planned to have the equivalent of a traditional 100W bulb shining on work surfaces and the equivalent of 60W shining everywhere else.

How do I find out what wattage CFL / LED bulbs to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

afraid i don't know the exact figures.I would normally fit good lighting in a kitchen.Either the megaman or possibly the new 'energy saver-halogen'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Tester46 wrote: »
    How do I find out what wattage CFL / LED bulbs to buy?

You going to need a huge amount of led's in a kitchen to give enough light. They are are fine for secondary lighting, like under counter, but for the main ceiling go with the something different like the megaman 11W

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Tester46

Davy wrote: »
    You going to need a huge amount of led's in a kitchen to give enough light. They are are fine for secondary lighting, like under counter, but for the main ceiling go with the something different like the megaman 11W

Unforunately, My kitchen has been wired with just one lighting circuit. So, to have different levelsoflighting in different parts of the kitchen I was going to use say the megaman 11W for the countertops (which need to be bright) and LEDs over the kitchen table, which I don't want to be overlit.

Does that sound possible?

• Advertisement
Advertisement