Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Broadband in Hospital

Options
  • 02-09-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a question that someone on this forum might be able to answer. My sister is going into Vincents Hospital for some Cancer teatment. She may be in isolation for a few weeks... She has a young daugther who will not be allowed to visit her.

I am planning to set up two laptops to allow some form of video conferencing, one unit in the hospital, the other at her house

My question is does St Vincents Hospital have wireless broadband. If not, does anyone know if the Eircom or Vodafone usb plug in devices will work in the hospital or if they would be allowed.

I know it's more a tech question but one of you may be in the best place to answer it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Yea there is wireless in Vinnies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That's a great idea. If you ring the hospital and ask at reception they should be able to put you onto somebody who can answer the specifics of your question. I'm pretty sure all hospitals at least allow the mobile USB devices and that they will work in hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

chilly wrote: »
    That's a great idea. If you ring the hospital and ask at reception they should be able to put you onto somebody who can answer the specifics of your question. I'm pretty sure all hospitals at least allow the mobile USB devices and that they will work in hospitals.

For mobile device will need room with external wall (was in an icu in the middle of one hospital so had no connection at one stage)

Some will want to certify the latop by their engineering department to say it is not a fire risk

dont knwo if Vinnies have free wireless for patients

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭aidan.connolly

Hi,

Just to give you an update. We got two Eirocm Broadband USB sticks, one for in St Vincents and one for in her house. Skype worked very well for the couple of weeks it was needed.

She got to see and talk to her daugther every day using it. !

Because of the great medical care she received , she is home now and improving day by day. I am not in the medical profession but I have to say.... Hospital Doctors , Nurses etc. don't get paid enough for the great work you all do.

Thanks

Aidan

Advertisement