Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any such thing as a fax line?

Options
  • 02-09-2009 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Ok, strange question, but here's what I mean. I have a small PABX system in the office, which our two phone lines go into. Beside the PABX is a regular phone socket. This phone socket allows us to connect a fax machine to it (it's the second line). It's also the line that our broadband comes in on. Previously, we had a splitter with a filter connected up and we could receive faxes and surf the web at the same time and still have a line free for making calls.

We're now in a situation where we're subletting a room in the office and we're giving the tenant line2 to use as his own. We've disconnected the fax machine but whenever he tries to make a call we can hear a noise on the line like a fax machine in the background. I think it's the broadband modem. But the filter makes no difference to the background noise.

Am I right in thinking that it's the noise of the broadband modem? Is there any way I can get rid of it but still have broadband?

Thanks.

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Clarehobo

The only way to check it is disconnect the broadband at lunchtime or something and try the phone line to see if the noise is still there.
    Does he receive incoming calls ok? Is it just on outgoing calls? Are people still trying to fax the number? Is this a direct line from Eircom?

Advertisement