Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpoint Condenser Dryer tripping ELCB

Options
  • 02-09-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭

Like a lot of threads, not sure if this is the right place. But here goes anyway....

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius condenser dryer - 5 years old - and since the weekend it trips the ELCB if I switch it on. Tried different sockets with no joy. Tried other appliances in the same socket and again no joy. The unit itself seems dry and the plug is dry.

Anyone got any ideas whether it is worth repairing or is there anything else we can try.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

More likely something inside the machine in contact with the frame. You will probably need to call out someone to check it out. Chances are its a simple fix, with the loom or insulation on the cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

"Tried other appliances in the same socket and again no joy"
    do you mean other appliances are tripping the rcd or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭boccy23

No, the other devices work fine in the same socket. Freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This happened to me. I know your problem well and if you google the model number you will find out what is wrong. It happens to a lot of them and its happening to my pce of sh1t still

Pull the dryer out take out the 8 screws aroung the element at the back. You should see a little bit of water in the base what is happening is when the dryer is on the water is splashing up and tripping the electrics.

Just let the water out and use a hair dryer carefully to dry all arounf the element.

To stop this you need to clean out the condensor filer at least once a week in the base( along with the fluff filerter you are already cleaning)

let me know if you need any more advice. Like i say google the model and you will get a bit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Not sure if its the same with your model, but a few months ago I was asked to look at a similar problem.

I found water in the element area that had dripped down from the outlet pipe at the top which had become dislodged.

Dried it out with a hair dryer and refitted the drain pipe, working since

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In general the problem is that something within the machine that should not be getting wet is getting wet!

Advertisement