Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started restoring cabinets

Options
  • 02-09-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hey

I have just recently purchased an old Jamma arcade cabinet, which has really been gutted.

I am in two minds as to restore it as a JAMMA cabinet or just go down the MAME route, I'll need to get a new monitor too btw. So cga arcade tube or Tv/vga.

I am leaning to towards MAME at the moment as I have an old machine I can use doing nothing.

Are happs controls the way to go for the buttons and sticks.

I have seen some very cheap Hong Kong based ebay sets ~ 25 euro these too good to be true? They look as if they are the same kit seller in the uk are selling with a wiring loom for well over a hundred.

Any pointers appreciated, just reading over old posts now in relation to the scene so apologies if this is all asked before.

Any Irish collectors groups etc? Would be interested in getting more involved in the scene. Its an area I always like but never had the storage room for but I have moved recently.

EDIT: Thanks for all the good information, any suppliers to the arcade industry based in Ireland anywhere might make buying screens easier if i could collect.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭pool-champ

I would suggest jamma and either add these like i did
    pcbs Jamma
    playstation 2 to jamma
    dreamcast to jamma
    mame to jamma
    jamma to jvs lastest systems need this
    playstation 3 to jamma

so i have bet of every system and its just plug and play most of it

And im selling if intereted

Also joysticks i brought in about 10 so you can have them at cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

I'd set it up as a jamma cabinet and build a pc on a board with ipac/arcadeVGA and a jamma finderboard so you can plug in and out just like a game.
    Using an original arcade monitor is the way to go for arcade games but don't be expecting to run newer consoles, ie.ps2, xbox360, etc on it.
    Thats what I've done so I can still play original boards
    I'd also consider a 4way/8way switchable joystick for player one as this is a must for 4way games ie.pacman/frogger/qbert/etc

If you need a hand wiring, etc give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

If you are looking for a monitor I can get new arcade monitor WG19",220v no need for a transformer
    Let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

Speaking as someone who has done both - I'd say save yourself alot of money and heartache and just go down the mame route. (dons the kevlar):P
    I've had over 200 pcbs and probably a dozen uprights in the house at one stage - now it's just a few sets of Williams PCB's and a defender upright and MAME for everything else... just easier. (but then I'm gone old and lazy:D)

sighs, scratches head, rubs chin and smiles

Ahhh feck it - go the proper route - JAMMA and proper monitor. You'll learn so much more and have 1000 time more fun getting there. Guaranteed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭pdw

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going down the jamma route I have the new harness ordered and I am starting stripping the cab back this weekend.
    In terms of controls I am going with happs on advice, can someone recommend which joysticks and buttons to go for I am not sure what the differences between each stick is. Competetion joystick etc.

Thanks again for all the answers much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭pdw

If you are looking for a monitor I can get new arcade monitor WG19",220v no need for a transformer
    Let me know

In terms of a monitor its a 20" cabinet and it did have a 20 inch screen long since gone I have the serial and manufacterer somewhere. If you have a 20" inch one I'd be interested.

Advertisement